Thread: CDC quill bodies.

Default CDC quill bodies.

CDC quill bodies

When tying with CDC, I have kept the quills of the feathers, as I thought that sooner or later I will find a use for it. (contrary to popular belief, I do tie some dry flies and every now and again fish them as well).
    The Marc Petitjean tool, most of the time leaves the quills as left overs. Depending on how close you cut it to the quill, the effect differs for the body.
    As the CDC feathers comes in a variety of colors, the quills and the left over sections on the quills are in a variety of colors.
    While playing around at the vise, the other night, an idea formed. This could be a SUPER body material. I played around with it and it looks stunning.

Here are a couple of ideas that I came up with.
    a. Standard touch and turn wrappings
    b. Spaced wrappings with a light weight copper wire as ribbing.
    c. A layer of contrasting thread bed, with open wrappings will give different body color.
    The advantage of using these quills is that it gives better flotation, as the quill is hollow and the left-over barbs traps air.

I have to try this on the river, but it looks very promising, I have tied some flies from #20 to #14.
    If this idea/method, have been posted anywhere else, my apologies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

As you get different "densities" of the barbs on the quills, you can experiment a lot with different styles and different lenghts of barbs etc

The photos are for #12 to #20.
    So the applications can be used in a variety of sizes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie! Now i know what to do with all the stems i kept. Great flies!!
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!