Thread: Gloves and fish health

Default Gloves and fish health

I always wear sun gloves when fishing. I've seen enough fisherman with bad sun spots on their hands that I always pack two pairs just in case one pair tears or gets lost.
    I always thought that handling fish with sungloves on also makes sense in that they are almost permanently wet. Now I am wondering if the material does more damage to the fish than your bare hands?

I share your thoughts on this, the same as some bad nets.
    I have alwasy thougth wet hands, skin only will be much better.
    I have seen some gloves where the inside of the glove is cut away,with only some fabric on 2 or 3 of the fingers to keep it in place, might be the answer. Think it was SImms, if I remember correct.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

I used to wear them but stopped for the above reason.

lip grips...sand and dry boat decks do more damage imho...unfortunately protecting myself against skin cancer comes first
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Got nothing against them but I dont wear gloves. I like my freedom.
    Dont think they cause damage to be honest, no more damage than a net.
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Thumbs up for team gloves. I wanted to touch a girlie last week but she said to first go wash my hands to which I replied " It's not dirty, I have yellow fever"...

GERR0910.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 15-10-12 at 09:37 PM.

One should wear gloves on your feet, that way the yellows will think it is an egyptian goose walking around in the spawning beds and not an actual fly fisher / pap-gooier wannabe....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Well, I build fences and do maintenance for a living. My hands see the sun more then most. Won't make a difference to start wearing them when fishing.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Fishing does damage to fish, period. We can try to cause LESS damage forsure, but I don't think a pair of sungloves is doing more damage than when you have the fish out of the water, flapping on grass, rocks, in the sun for extended periods of time just to get a photograph of the thing. I'll keep wearing my sungloves, the damage is negligable imho compared to other damage caused over which far less fuss is made about.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett