Thread: loch-style fishing sterkies

Default loch-style fishing sterkies

hi guys , every time i've been to sterkies i've seen fish rising on the foam line when the wind is up a bit . I'm going to give drift boat fishing the next time a fish there with a drogue . Just wondering , has anyone fished like this at sterkies ??

I think your idea is fine as long as you have a very easy wind.Anything slighlty breezy and you will look like a popper riding a wave,and it can be very dangerous.

The "general" feeling is that you "should" fish dries on Sterkies, but I know of one fly fisher that went loch style with wet flies etc, that had super fishing on Sterkies, so you could have amazing fishing.

As mentioned, the wind is the only thing to keep a serious watch on.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

yes it works really well, 2 or 3 flies even add a streamer, but the wind oh dear the wind

Kan een van die experts asb so kort verduideliking van 'loch-style' vir ons slymballe gee.

Use to do it on Swartwater, Mitsi Matso, for trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    Kan een van die experts asb so kort verduideliking van 'loch-style' vir ons slymballe gee.

Loch-style is met bote en 'n met of sonder drogue.
    Drogue _water anker of "water parachute"
    jy gebruik die wind om jou in 'n rigting te waai en vang basies voor die boot en tot 90 grade aan die kant.
    As jy 'n drogue gebruik, kan jy tot 'n mate jou rigting van dryf "beheer" deur die drogue op verskillende plekke op die boot te plaas.
    Teoreties, as die drogue presies in die middel van die boot vas is, behoort jy presies met die wind te dryf.
    as jy die drogue, meer na regs skuif, behoort jy bietjie meer diagonaal na regs te dryf en as die drogue meer na links geskuif word, behoort jy meer na links te dryf.
    Hoop dit help. indien meer inligting benodig, laat weet.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The "general" feeling is that you "should" fish dries on Sterkies, but I know of one fly fisher that went loch style with wet flies etc, that had super fishing on Sterkies, so you could have amazing fishing.

As mentioned, the wind is the only thing to keep a serious watch on.
    No to be a party pooper, I have fished Sterkies before, and when I saw that incredibly clear water and the fish all I wanted to do was fish dry and it was brilliant...I am sure you will catch fish this way, but to go there and fish that clear water and to be able to see the yellow rise from depths and take you dry fly is what Sterkies is all about...well I think that speaks for itself...anyway...just my humble opinion...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Jong, strap on a 6th sense core line and chuck a streamer ... it's action packed stuff, they hit the fly very hard.

Sighfishing dries is ofcourse brilliant, but as a variation or when the fish aren't playng along on the surface, streamer fishing for SM is awesome.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.