Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sterkfontein help for Kaapenaar

To echo Herman's thoughts, Dennis is the man. He guided Schlosd1 and I into about 35 yellows landed in an afternoon, all on dry fly.

If you don't feel like spending the time/cash on guiding, try walking Southeast around the bay behind Qwantani (Craigielea bay) and then North up the spur to the point (North Point/3 Anchor Bay). At the point you will be able to find flat water in any wind. Total walking distance to the point is 5km from Qwantani, then 5km back.

3 anchor bay early in the morning is awesome and the wind this weekend looks very gentle anyway. http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/sterkfontein_dam

Thanks for all the help guys.

What an absolutely magnificent place! I haven't been there for 15 years and had forgotten how spectacularly beautiful it is.

I only had 3 hours on Saturday morning and 2 hours on Saturday evening to fish. I took Herman's advice and headed towards the blue gums and the next bay. I had a fantastic time but it was a serious lesson in humility! The water was crystal clear and there was no wind to speak of, and I learned just what an ordinary fly fisherman I am.

I started seeing fish almost immediately and continued to see them regularly throughout my two sessions. Getting them interested in my flies without spooking them was the first challenge, while the second was getting them to eat the flies once they were interested.

During the morning session I had several shots at cruising fish, but only managed to get two definite follows, and no takes. Several times a fish would see the fly and slowly drift up towards it, but spook at the last second. Sometimes I couldn't stand the interminable wait while it stared at the fly and slowly stripped. That only caused the fish to bolt.

During the afternoon session, I changed my leader and added two feet of 4x flouro. I saw far more fish in the afternoon and learned a bit from the morning's mistakes. I managed to coax four strikes out of the fish, but was far too slow to convert. It is unbelievable how quickly a yellow can suck in a fly and spit it out. By the time I felt the knock, the fish was already on his way. I also had a few short takes on the caddis imitations. Heart stopping stuff.

In the end I only managed one fish of 2 kgs and was extremely pleased with that. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and I have been thinking about it ever since. I can see how that place gets under your skin. You guys upcountry are extremely lucky to have it right there.

Well it's not exactly "right here"

Well done, always an awesome experience if you go to a venue and learn something not only about the fish, but also about yourself.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

glad you had some fun there Garage...it's a truly spectacular place...
    if you notice you're getting fish to inspect the fly but reject it, try dropping tippet diameter. most of the time thats the problem...
    also, dont wait for the bump on the line (if you're fishing dries) but if you see the fish eat the dry, lift into it immediately.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Sterkies will even make the best of fisherman look stupid...haha trust me on that one!
    One of my mates Rick (an old timer with a Border Collie) was also there this weekend. He also only fished a few sessions but managed quite a few fish but had times, as you said when they just frustrate you endlessly by swim/turn/chase and but not take.
    But I always say; you havent caught a yellow, until you have caught one at Sterkies. So, no need to feel ordinary......you did great, believe me; thats Sterkies for you Well done for the time you did put in!

I know Pro's that can go for a whole week and not catch a single fish!
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

You work hard fish fish at Sterkies! Out of every hit, you only hook about 1/3rd of fish.

I blanked on Day with Dennis, but still, it was awesome experience.

Cant wait to go back!

Even those rogue hit are adrenalin pumped!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    ... try dropping tippet diameter. most of the time thats the problem...
    Additionally, try degreasing the tippet with something like Fullers earth etc so that the tippet does not ride on the surface but is instead inside the water.

We have used quite heave fluoro tippet sections (10lb) when fishing hoppers and then the presentation is usually intentionally messy. You don't have to fish 6X & 7X at Sterkfontein to be successful.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

We were also fishing sterkies this past weekend on the resort side. Saw allot of fish, allot of strikes and hundreds of refusals.
    Degreased 5x leaders with snakeriver mud seemed to do the job just fine.
    Caught 4 yellows in the 1.5 - 2kg range. All with different flies.

One thing I did find strange is that the fish would refuse the same fly after it has caught a fish. For example I was using a foam hopper imitation, got refused a few times, then caught one. Released the fish, moved to another feeding pod and then nothing. Changed to a klinkhammer, and the exact same thing happens.
    Any ideas or theories on this?
    Size does matter! Smallstreams fill up big hearts!!!!!!!

Thanks for this informative thread!!

Booked a week at Sterkies from 12 to 18 January staying at Qwantani. Will have to see how it goes, already started getting ready for my 10km hikes and started getting the size 18s & 20s stocked.

Can anyone confirm if Qwantani Bay and the bay west of it is now off limits for fishermen?

PS.If any of you forumers are around that time please give me a shout!
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 26-11-12 at 01:32 PM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Just back from my Sterkies trip this weekend and as promised, herewith my report back:

http://wernermoller.blogspot.com/201...urday-for.html

Also did a quick one on Saulspoort. Please check the blog.

Have a good one.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2