Thread: Recommended venue - this weekend (22/23 Dec)

Default Recommended venue - this weekend (22/23 Dec)

Hey guys

Looks like I may be on my ace this weekend for a fish but I am fine with that. Those that know teh venues - can you recommend any that are likely to offer a decent (and hopefully quiet) day out? I only know Eendekuil.

Don't want to have to drive MUCH further than Eendekuil if possible. (ie Christiana is definitely too far!)

I am not looking for the secret honey spots - rather the established venues.

You can try Eastco.
    PLENTY OF WATER ON THE OTHERSIDE OF THE island.
    The trib in front of the camping side will have lots of people. But very few venture to the otherside of the island.
    Probably 20 min drive past Eendekuil
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    You can try Eastco.
    PLENTY OF WATER ON THE OTHERSIDE OF THE island.
    The trib in front of the camping side will have lots of people. But very few venture to the otherside of the island.
    Probably 20 min drive past Eendekuil
    Thanks Korrie!

Eastco said they were full and wouldn't allow day visitors so I ended up going to Oord Nebo on a solo mission which was actually great. I don't think I get to spend enough time in my own company and I remembered how much I enjoyed being on my own.

Got to Nebo around 10.30 and spent about 30 pumbing up canoe, rigging up etc.
    Fishing Kayak.jpg

Waded upstream and after about 15 minutes, realised had left fly rod on the bank! Doh!! Back again! Got rod! Caught a tiny little yellow (fingerling). I started in the diagonal channel that is just a bit upstream of the main venue. Got nada. Slowly worked my way upstream. Finally got to the main channel where there was lots of riffles etc which looked good. Paddled across to the freestate side and fished there. Nothing nothing nothing. Panorama view.jpg

Solarised view.jpg

Shat myself when a HUGE barbel took off from almost under my feet! Then a thunder storm rolled in and there was some SOLID lightning and a bit of rain. Had a bite to eat and a little kip on the bank under my kayak! Was very pleasant actually.

After the rain passed, I got to fishing again and managed to bag 3 fish of between 750g and 1kg in about 45 minutes. Fish in net.jpg
    I was happy to finally get a few fish! Unfortunately I then started to blank again. Nothing more until my last cast around 7pm. I thought I had hooked a rock but when I waded over to free my fly, I discovered that the fly was now moving! Sadly because I wasn't being vigilant, I lost the fish soon thereafter. I am guessing it was a muddie - didn't rush off and it was just swimming off slowly. I wish I saw it!

Good going Scooter.

What flies did you use?
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

I tried a bunch and I tried deep, shallow. I must have put on 10 different flies!

In the end what got 2 of the 3 was a tiny (size 18 or so) black nymph and I got 1 of the 3 on my vaal rock nymph imitation dropper fly.

Why the boat ??????????????

The only venue I know of where you need a boat to get to the prime waters is YFP. ( Yellow Fish Paradise ). Unless of course if you are drifting down, or rowing up, to " poach" private waters, which has been known to happen

Well done on a first trip to a new venue. Good going.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Why the boat ??????????????

The only venue I know of where you need a boat to get to the prime waters is YFP. ( Yellow Fish Paradise ). Unless of course if you are drifting down, or rowing up, to " poach" private waters, which has been known to happen

Well done on a first trip to a new venue. Good going.
    I used the boat because:
    • I wanted to be able to be away from the car all day and wanted to take lunch and juice. I hate carrying too much whilst fishing. I want to be able to move freely.
    • It allows me to move easily across the water to where I want to be and then I can get out and fish. I find wading long distances is a pain!
    • I wanted to try out my boat.
    Last edited by Scooterza; 10-01-13 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterza View Post
    I used the boat because:
    • I wanted to be able to be away from the car all day and wanted to take lunch and juice. I hate carrying too much whilst fishing. I want to be able to move freely.
    • It allows me to move easily across the water. I find wading is a pain!
    • I wanted to try out my boat.
    Main thing is.!!! Are you happy with your boat?????
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.