Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Fish in KZN midlands.

Default Yellow Fish in KZN midlands.

Can anyone suggest a good place to catch some yellows (preferably small stream) in and around KZN midlands area? I live in Pietermaritzburg and Im despereate to catch one of fly.

There are lots of stretches of the Umgeni, Umkomaas and Dusi rivers that yield yellows.

There's a good stretch in the Nature Reserve below the Howick falls. Also above and below Midmar. Otherwise the Lions River area.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    There are lots of stretches of the Umgeni, Umkomaas and Dusi rivers that yield yellows.

There's a good stretch in the Nature Reserve below the Howick falls. Also above and below Midmar. Otherwise the Lions River area.
    Sounds positive. Do you think the fish will be hungry this time of the year? If so what flys are they eating?

Any chance you have any GPS points?

Thanks Wazzy

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Sounds positive. Do you think the fish will be hungry this time of the year? If so what flys are they eating?

Any chance you have any GPS points?

Thanks Wazzy
    The fish are definitely eating at this time of year. The biggest concern is the colour of the water with all the rain. If it gets too muddy the fishing can be tough. That said it's always worth a try.

My all time favourite yellowfish fly is the orange hot spot, so I'd start with that.

Sadly I can't offer you any GPS points. I know my way to the venues so I've never bothered to mark them.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

I am def. planning a trip down to that area in may/june... however I will be in underburg in april, are there scalies in that river near the highway ( you cross it on your way to underburg ) rather muddy water.. it may even be the lower reaches of the umzimkulu ?

Quote Originally Posted by NicIsab View Post
    I am def. planning a trip down to that area in may/june... however I will be in underburg in april, are there scalies in that river near the highway ( you cross it on your way to underburg ) rather muddy water.. it may even be the lower reaches of the umzimkulu ?
    The scalies do come up there in summer, but being April I'm not sure how high up they will be due to water temps. So trout it will be for you.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

well I will have a go anyway and let everyone know what happens

Thanks for all the feedback guys really appreciate it. I will hopefull have a positive report to give Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys really appreciate it. I will hopefull have a positive report to give Monday.
    Good luck. Where you fishing?
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    Good luck. Where you fishing?
    I think I will start above midmar on the Mgeni, if the water is dirty then will look at the lion river and if all else fails will go for a walk into the Umgeni Valley (The road have recently been closed due to wash aways).

In terms of technique with the orange hotspot, is it basic nymphing with a strike indicator? I havent targeted yellows before so want to get some info. What length leader do you usually use?

Apologies for all the newbie questions.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast