Thread: Whitefish/Witvis Status

Default Whitefish/Witvis Status

Good Day

Does anybody know what the status of Whitefish is at the moment.

Is there still a place where they can be caught on fly, if so where?

I have done a search but the little bit of info that there is is old.

Best of luck getting an answer to THAT question!

I think the only place left where you can find them is in Brandvlei / Quaggaskloof dams, and there are loads of them. Went there in December and probably caught about 50. Most of them were caught trying to catch carp, papgooi style, but I did manage to get a few on fly as well. Just remember to handle them with care, they are indeed highly endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodamvis View Post
    I think the only place left where you can find them is in Brandvlei / Quaggaskloof dams, and there are loads of them. Went there in December and probably caught about 50. Most of them were caught trying to catch carp, papgooi style, but I did manage to get a few on fly as well. Just remember to handle them with care, they are indeed highly endangered.
    Thanks.

So if I go there are there any suggestions on how to catch them, what time of the year, what methods etc.

I would really like to catch one, I am after all 9 Yellowfish spieces and the Witvis is my next target and my most challenging.

Witvis are quite difficult to catch on fly, but very easy to catch conventional style. We actually moved spots about 3 or 4 times trying to get away from them to get a chance to catch carp. As soon as the bait hits the water, they are on it. So what I did was to cast a fly, which is the same colour as the carp bait, in the same spot as the carp bait and let it sink to the bottom. They will snatch it before it reaches the bottom. Not the most innovative method, but it worked. Summer is probably the best time of year.

Thanks,

I'll start planning for a trip to Brandvlei.

What about Jonkershoek? I have read threads that they are stocked there in dams and in a river, the threads are quite old, is this still so?

I've heard that they stopped stocking there a few years ago, but not sure. I went there twice, but didn't catch any, so I don't know if they're still there.

And the Heks River, I've heard that there are some there, also quite some time ago?

Don't know, I also read something like that a while back. Maby someone else can give more info on the Hex river, and how to acess it?