Thread: Winelands Fly Fishing Clubs

Default Winelands Fly Fishing Clubs

Hi,

Since my moving to Stellenbosch in the beginning of the year I have been quite surprised by the apparent lack of fly fishing clubs in the area. Of course there is CPS, but it doesn't seem like the social/event side of the society is still running (please correct me if I'm wrong). I just wanted to find out if there are any clubs in the area that meetup regularly and if so why not?

I am looking for a place where fly fisherman and interested persons can get together, and learn from each other, while promoting the sport. Would anyone be interested in helping me get something going if nothing else already exists.

Cheers

Lloyd

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

The CPS have a few individuals sitting on the committee that organize events. Usually, these events happen on the third Thursday of every month (somebody correct me if i'm wrong). Fly tying evenings are also held on a regular basis. Also, the CPS club rooms and bar are open every Thursday (or it used to be) for those members who want to have a drink chat. They also initiated orientation evenings for new members a few years ago. Otherwise if you're located in Stellenbosch, for some random fishing banter and FF supplies go to Philip and co at Winelands Fly Shop...

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    The CPS have a few individuals sitting on the committee that organize events. Usually, these events happen on the third Thursday of every month (somebody correct me if i'm wrong). Fly tying evenings are also held on a regular basis. Also, the CPS club rooms and bar are open every Thursday (or it used to be) for those members who want to have a drink chat. They also initiated orientation evenings for new members a few years ago. Otherwise if you're located in Stellenbosch, for some random fishing banter and FF supplies go to Philip and co at Winelands Fly Shop...
    The CPS is trying to get these events going again. In the past poor attendance has not made it worth the effort to organize activities. Anyone with ideas feel free to make suggestions. Members need to start actively participating in the activities of the the club to allow it to grow.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Lloyd you are unfortunately spot on. There really isnt much going on on the social front which is a major shame. I think there is a definite demand for it though, as whenever Winelands Fly Shop or StreamX have a function it is very well attended. Its actually one of the main reasons I love the competitive side of things as we meet guys on a regular basis and share ideas and flies etc as well as seeing all the guys from around the country come Nationals time.

We (WPFFA) are in the planning phase of trying to organize a social League which will hopefully fill that void. The idea is to have anglers meet at a central location (ie Du Toits Kloof Hotel) and split up into pairs to fish the rivers against each other. It is a social league so you can take it as seriously as you want (or not). There will be a small trophy for the most consistent angler at the end of the season but the main priority will be to get more members to meet, share information and have a beer with at the end of the day. More on this to follow shortly.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Thanks for the replies, the social league sounds like a great idea and I would love to get involved in that, so please keep us updated on the status of it. It is really sad that the social aspect has faded although I understand that people commitments change over time and thus attendance does drop, but there are generally a few like minded people who stick it out until it picks up again. I have seen a similar thing in the SCUBA diving communities I have been part of. The nice thing is that they are generally focussed towards getting to know each other as you can't dive alone and thus you try organise to meet people in the areas you like diving so you can always arrange that last minute dive.

It would be nice to see the same in the fly fishing community, I know that in other areas of the country it is like that. Hopefully the social league does get underway and that more events are organized.

Quote Originally Posted by System123 View Post
    I know that in other areas of the country it is like that. Hopefully the social league does get underway and that more events are organized.
    This does happen in Gauteng. However you must remember that we can fit up to 20 people at a single venue, and no one is fishing on his neighbours elbow.

On the streams it would be impossible to host more than 8 from the Hotel.

I would suggest the present system of asking for guys to help.

There are so many good people down there who will help of they can. I am talking from experience here, my 2 visits to the Cape Streams have been flooded with invites to fish.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659