Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Natal Midlands this Wednesday-Friday

Default Natal Midlands this Wednesday-Friday

Due to unforeseen circumstances I will be driving through from Jhb to Hilton, KZN tomorrow. I will be arriving around lunch time and would have been there for an hour or so before heading back to Jozi. However, I have decided to turn this into a fishing trip.
    I want to stay somewhere on the Wednesday night and possibly the Thursday too. Stream fishing would be first prize, by a long way. My initial idea was stay at Nottingham Road hotel and fish the Bushman's.
    Any other suggestions from guys that know the area would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Hi Andrew
    In another thread I posted the details about the Drunken Swan Pub.
    I stayed there with Pascal and Said.
    I can really recommend it.
    You will be saving about 40km of driving towards the Bushman's.
    With the area prone to HEAVY FOG, and the potholes etc, this could mean an extra hour of fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Andrew,

As Korrie pointed out, Notties is a long way from the Bushmans. Probably around 75km on a bad road, so I wouldn't take that as a first option if you're wanting the to fish the Bushmans.

If you do stay in Notties that Mooi River holds some great wild browns. That said there is something special about the Bushmans.

The Giant's Castle Reserve is fantastic but can be a little pricey. Perhaps loops at the Swan as Korrie suggested. I've never been there myself so can't comment.

Cheers,
    Warren
    Last edited by WazzyP; 26-03-13 at 07:26 AM.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Personally I'd stay at Riverside (adjacent to Kamberg NR) & fish the Mooi. They have some stillwater too. Contact Pieter or Jo Moller at Tel/fax: +27 (0) 33 267-7245
    Cellular: 082 894-7972
    Mike Mitchley

Swine...

Bit of fishing, A certain Brewery...

Swine...:biggrin:
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by muddler View Post
    Personally I'd stay at Riverside (adjacent to Kamberg NR) & fish the Mooi. They have some stillwater too. Contact Pieter or Jo Moller at Tel/fax: +27 (0) 33 267-7245
    Cellular: 082 894-7972
    I would do this one. Have fished his stillwaters and they are quality. We fished his lower dam in the kamberg festival with each guy in the team getting over 10 fish in a morning session, and each guy got at least one fish over 50 cm. I have not fished his stretch of river but it looks stunning and every time i drive over it i itch to fish it.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Drew if youre specifically looking for proximity to the Bushmans then White mountain is another option.

http://www.whitemountain.co.za/

It cuts off a considerable amount of the commute and would be reasonably close to Hilton.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

ant bear is also a nice option for proximity to the bushmans (and injisuthi also)
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Thanks for all the info guys! Have booked into Riverside. Looking forward to it, have not fished the Mooi before.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Dude please let us know how it goes. Have always wondered about that stretch.

Have a goodie!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast