Thread: Peter Hayes visiting SA

Default Peter Hayes visiting SA

Peter Hayes @ Eikendal 26 May.

Don't miss the opportunity to meet this dynamic fly fishing and casting instructor. Perfect your distance, accuracy and efficiency of cast.

• FFF Certified Master Casting Instructor
    • Bronze medal winner 2000 World Fly Fishing Championships
    • Silver medal winner 1981, 1983 World Casting Championships
    • 10 times Australian Fly Casting Champion of Champions

2. Pre-booking essential, limited numbers apply. R 250.00 single and R 350.00 Family ticket (2 pax), incl. Boerewors Roll. Contact Philip - flytalk@telkomsa.net or Louis de Jager 074 230 4991. Refreshments on sale, bring own camp chair and practise equipment.

Time: 09:00 - 13:00
Attached Files Attached Files
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi Phillip
    You can book my spot.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Default Peter Hayes visiting SA - Pretoria on 9 May 13

To add to the previous posting that Peter will be in Pretoria on 9 May 13 facilitating a 3 hour casting session. You can either watch or participate in the casting lessons. 6-10pm. Only bring rod and reel. Chairs will be provided. Braai included. BYO refreshments.

Limited space so book now.

Visit our website for more detailed info, click here

HAYES POSTERPretoria.pdf
    Last edited by Jacaranda; 29-04-13 at 12:43 PM.
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman
    Jacaranda Fly Fishing Club
    Email: jacarandaflyfishers@icon.co.za
    Web: jffc

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Phillip
    You can book my spot.
    Will do Korrie. Space is limited and we have had quite a few bookings, think the cutoff is 40 people.

Cheerios

Hi Guys,

I am so excited at being able to be with you later this month. In fact I am counting sleeps - just 6 including tonight which is nearly over. Then two weekend sleeps which should never be counted. That makes only 3 sleeps before I jump on a plane from Tasmania to JBerg. Yippee !

More seriously. I am driven to inflict what a great casting mate of mine, Matthew Howell, calls the disease into you all. All things fly fishing are my passion and my life.

At the age of 13 I more or less lost a Father, but fortunately, at the same time, I gained 50 fathers from a local fly fishing club. They taught me to tournament cast, to tie flies and to fish. Importantly, their subliminal mentoring perhaps taught me how to focus on something I was truly passionate about and of the greatest importance those 50 older men taught me how to lead my life.

From the age of 13 I absolutely threw every ounce of my being into becoming the very best fly fisherman that I could become. I was trying to prove something to someone who was no longer there. How silly is that !

Nearly 40 years on I have switched my profession from Mechanical Design Engineer to Fly Fishing Guide and Casting Instructor. I have represented Australia in 2 World Fly Fishing Championships winning a silver medal at one of them. I have been selected in 2 Australian World Fly Fishing Championships and have a team Bronze from England in 2000. I have earned my living from being a Tasmanian based fly fishing guide for the past 19 years and have conducted casting courses all over Australia, Malaysia, New Zealand and North America. I have 2 delightful kids who share my passion and zest for life. My son Lachie, at the age of 11, became the youngest FFF Certified Casting Instructor in the world. I am a proud and lucky man.

Losing my father at that early age is still hurtful but now a distant memory. Look where it has lead me.

If you don't get it yet, what I am trying to say, is that you should never underestimate the power and strength your fly fishing club and community has to offer young people. Involve them. Teach and inspire them.

Now that is exactly what I would like to do during my 3 week stay in your country. I want to teach and inspire anyone that has the desire to listen. I want to give you the Matt Howell disease.

I'd like to think that I can teach you lots about casting. Every aspect of it. Single handed Roll and Spey casts. Curve casts and many other presentation casts that will help you catch many more fish. Power and distance are not always important but it doesn't hurt to have it up your sleeve when you need it. I can teach you what I can about knots and leaders and what I know about catching trout and other saltwater species.

I'd like to think I've been around a bit in the past 38 years and I have no secrets. I want to share what we know about fly fishing. Oh yes, I can assure you that you will teach me heaps.

A few years ago I spent a couple of days casting with the VERY GREAT Lefty Kreh. He said to me "Peter, when you teach, be sure to not display your knowledge. Instead, teach it"

I can assure you that I am not coming to simply show off. I am coming to teach. So... come along and join me, be sure to bring your rod and your friends and of course as many young kids as you can muster.

Kindest regards
    3 sleeps
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingman View Post
    A few years ago I spent a couple of days casting with the VERY GREAT Lefty Kreh. He said to me "Peter, when you teach, be sure to not display your knowledge. Instead, teach it"

I can assure you that I am not coming to simply show off. I am coming to teach. So... come along and join me, be sure to bring your rod and your friends and of course as many young kids as you can muster.
    Peter, welcome to Flytalk and your first post. South Africa is excited and we are looking forward to hosting the casting clinics country wide and seeing you soon in action 'teaching'. Have a safe flight to SA.
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman
    Jacaranda Fly Fishing Club
    Email: jacarandaflyfishers@icon.co.za
    Web: jffc

Hi Guys,

We still have some space for Peter Hayes casting demo and clinic this coming Sunday. We will have some umbrellas out on the lawn in case it rains. This is an opportunity not to be missed, please see the extract and feedback from Tom Sutcliffe's newsletter below.

FEEDBACK ON PETER HAYES’ VISIT TO SOUTH AFRICA

Peter Hayes has won numerous Australian and international casting championships and awards and is in South Africa doing to do casting demonstrations, some sightseeing and a spot of fishing. In the Western Cape we have the pleasure of his company on the 26th of May. Meanwhile I’ve heard the following from his Johannesburg and Durban appearances:

>From Gordon Van der Spuy (Johannesburg)

Attended Peter Hayes' casting clinic yesterday, Brilliant, the guy shoots common casting theory out of the water, and backs his arguments up, by actually showing you what he's on about. He can roll cast and entire line out with minimal, if any effort. The guy is also an excellent teacher. He makes it simple for the guys. I learnt a lot as did everyone who was there. Really worth going to, the man is a genius. You're going to have fun.

>From Peter Brigg (Durban)

I was at Peter Hayes's casting demo last night, very informative and in my case, helpful to correct some of those bad habits developed over many years. He also passed on some general tips including the Penny Knot. It’s quick and easy to tie, and effective.

See http://www.peterhayesflyfishing.com/page19715137.aspx

He also had a beautiful 6' bamboo rod made by an Australian craftsman - cast like a dream. The finish with engraved reel seat and ferrules was stunning.
    I could help Pete Brigg with the rod. It was made by Nick Taransky. See below.

And remember if you are anywhere near Cape Town on the 26th of this month, Peter Hayes will be doing a fly casting demonstration at Philip Meyer’s fly shop on the Eikendal wine farm midway between Stellenbosch and Somerset West. The function starts at 9:00 sharp and ends at 1:00. The price is R250 or R350 for couples or families.

Definitely worth attending learned some very basic things that I never did and also gave me a new perspective on roll casts, bow and arrow etc