Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowfish habits

Water temps dropped from 17 last week and it was 16 yesterday and a definate decline in feeding activity but not majorly drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Water temps dropped from 17 last week and it was 16 yesterday and a definate decline in feeding activity but not majorly drastic.
    Is Lillydale not calling you Jono?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Always,but it needs to settle now first for winter fishing.End june should be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Always,but it needs to settle now first for winter fishing.End june should be awesome
    I like the sound of that
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Have not measured temps this morning but a clear change in feeding.Quite a bit slower and not at all targeting larger food but anything in their way.Still very actively feeding on the surface and a lot more skim feeding happening than i have seen,especially from the bigger one

Temps are remaining constant at 16 because of the warmer weather we are having so no real change yet in feeding etc to write about.

Can we send you some new flies to test for us?:smile:

yellows are not leader shy.They are skittish for any unnatural movements or flashes of light but dont even get put off by a string.Infact when i measures the temps for the first time they both came to have a taste of my thermometer.
    I then started with 0x they did not see it.(i had no fly attached)I them went to wool,came for a taste.Rope,came for a taste.
    I do however think this theory has proven itself.The fish sees you,it spooks.If you are behind cover and plop the fly hard on the water it will take it.These fish are very spooky with a flash of light though.

Vision:
    They tend to lie just off the bottom and their focus seems to be more on the upper sections of the water.I have seen some foodstuffs moving along the bottom and the fish only picks it up quite near to it.Foodstuffsat angle angle even up to the surface are charged down from far off.
    This makes me wonder how they pick up flies in rapids.
    Their responses from eyelevel upwards is much much faster than foodstuffs on the ground.
    Does ones flies actaully bounch on the rocks and they are not picking it up on the bottom but when the fly bounces off the rock to either eye level or just above eye level.
    I mean how often when fishing heavy do you actually pick more fish up on the upper droppers than the control.
    This is due to the fish focusing on drifting food instead of feeding on food moving right on the bottom.This has lead me to ask a question as to new ideas for leader setup when nymphing.
    Obviously I have a very good idea how I am gonna test this on the waters but wont divulge anything i till I have.
    Your Thoughts?

Thinner tippets, and lighter flies, that "bounce" along the bottom, instead of the heavy flies that drag along the bottom.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast