Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The world's lightest fly reels

Default The world's lightest fly reels

Wychwood River & Stream range

These lightweight river fishing reels are a marvel of modern day engineering and the envy of many.
    Wychwood brings to the bank a product that truly challenges the boundaries of production technology with the #2/3 reel weighing in at a staggering 50g and the #4/5 reel at only 58g.

The multi-axis CNC machine technology allowed Wychwood to redefine the strength capabilities of lightweight structures, removing as much excess material as possible, without affecting the structural properties of a fly fishing reel.

The River&Stream reels also feature the new, innovative, adjusta-clicker drag system, which provides extra linear tension when palming a fish on the reel and prevents over-run of your fly line.

Lightest fly reels in the world: #2/3 50g (1.8oz), #4/5 58g (2oz)*
    Bar stock aluminium cage and spool T1 anodised surface finish
    Multi-axis CNC shelling technology Shortened centre pin for weight reduction
    Injection moulded comfort-fit handle Adjusta-clicker drag system.

*Lightest CNC machine cut clicker-drag fly reels on the global market at the time of launch.

From R2,295.00 in stock now.
    Regards
    Craig

Would be a no-brainer purchase for me if I did not have to save up for the Holland thing later this year. Amazing looking reel, and the weight is such a bonus!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Craig,

Not doubting Wychwood, but have you confirmed those reel masses yourself?
    They are very pretty but too light to balance the 10 ft 3 wt rod's I fish.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Hi Craig,

Not doubting Wychwood, but have you confirmed those reel masses yourself?
    They are very pretty but too light to balance the 10 ft 3 wt rod's I fish.
    Gary, checked on my digital scale but its apparent as soon as you have one in your hand.
    You are clearly not fishing the Wychwood River & Stream 3 wt 10 or 11ft rods which will be lighter :-)
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Gary, checked on my digital scale but its apparent as soon as you have one in your hand.
    You are clearly not fishing the Wychwood River & Stream 3 wt 10 or 11ft rods which will be lighter :-)
    I'll waggle one next time I am in CT. Quite happy with my Zenith & Infinity, thank you very much :-)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Received my Wychwood RS 4/5 yesterday and I can honestly say that this is unlike anything I have seen or held in my hands. What amazes me is that when people look at it, they say wow thats nice, but the look on their face of disbelieve when they feel how light it is when you hand them the reel is just .....Priceless!!!

The craftsmanship is just superb on this reel. It's a well thought out design and it operates as smooth as silk. Mine came with backing, when I put the fly line on, I could still not believe how light it was.

Super reel and super service from Craig and his staff at Stream-X.

PS: Craig give us a review/peak show on the Flow please.

Yesterday a lovely little Sage built by Koos arrived for Ed. We weighed the rod line reel & backing at the total was 108 grams.

According to Ed this is the ultimate small stream combo at present (specially the matt sage finish), but wait until the smaller Wychwood River & Stream rods arrive.

Will the range be a Sage killer?
    Regards
    Craig

Craig

What sort of warranty do Wychwould offer? Does it match Orvis or Sage, for that matter?

Neil

A quick look online reveals the following:

Orvis - unconditional with $10 fee
    Sage - lifetime with $50 fee
    Wychwood - 12months no fee

Wychwood at StreamX - an immediate repair or replacement.
    For an extra grand i will gladly offer a lifetime unconditional warranty :-)

Also bear in mind that there are no Orvis or Sage reels that come close in terms of value.
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Orvis - unconditional with $10 fee
    Sage - lifetime with $50 fee
    Wychwood - 12months no fee
    Are those reel replacement fees? No questions asked, over the counter, or how does it work?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast