Thread: My first LM

Default My first LM

For some reason I have never fly fished for LM yellows before...... Earlier this year I was going through the older threads on this site and slowly the idea took shape that this year was it: I was going to get one on fly. I've caught them on lures years ago at school, growing up in Bloemhof.

Then the year rushed pass and I never got to it, until my wife's work team decided to have a team building exercise at Good Hope Private Reserve near Barkly Wes this past weekend. Being a structured weekend there was only about 3 hours of fishing time available. I was fishing from the bank and was not too optimistic of my chances given the limited time and restricted movement. But alas...

It was not big, but it is a LM and it was where I pictured it to be! Now for a specimen with a bit of weight......
    GoodHopeLM.jpg
    Blikoor,

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Good job, that water quality looks lovely.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

It's a lovely piece of water. Great visibility but I think the mining operations in the area have affected it somewhat.

Here's some shots of when I was there in December.

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Lovely structure and water in those pics.
    Chris van der Post and Klaas, have showed me, how to fish that type of water for LM yellows. There are plenty of LM in water with that type of structure.
    Real walk and stalk, casting close to the edges etc.
    Try it, you will be amazed on the amount of LM yellows cruising in there.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Lovely structure and water in those pics.
    Chris van der Post and Klaas, have showed me, how to fish that type of water for LM yellows. There are plenty of LM in water with that type of structure.
    Real walk and stalk, casting close to the edges etc.
    Try it, you will be amazed on the amount of LM yellows cruising in there.
    Do they enter the shallower runs with boulder structure as well? I caught this one in a deep pool below a run through the rocks. The run was about 1-1.5 m deep. Made a few cast there with no luck. First cast into the deep pool got followed.
    Blikoor,

I saw Klaas hooking into LM fishes, in little back eddie pockets that was 30cm deep and probaly 5m in diameter.
    I walked past this water without a second thought.
    Klaas made about 7 or 8 casts, and hooked into this fish.
    If I did not see it, I would not have believed it.
    Seeing Klaas fish, was the biggest eye opener for me, in terms of LM fishing.
    Everything I have heard and read about LM fishing went out of the front door and windows.
    He hardly fished more than a third of the fly line out, really close, fishing right up against the "micro drop-offs" from rocks, little back eddies, 1m in diameter. little pools etc.
    THe only way I can describe it, is "Think fishing for LM Bass" you cannot try enough near structure (rocks, dropp offs, trees, roots, back eddies,)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie. Will have to adapt then!
    Blikoor,