• Pic 10

0 0%
  • Pic 11

0 0%
  • Pic 12

2 6.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Smallmouth Swap vote

They are VERY VERY GOOD AND FAST SWIMMERS.
    If you have a net with very fine mesh, go around and under the grass, water hyacinth, tree roots etc.
    Stab your net under the plantation, move upwards and lift out of water.
    BUT I repeat, move very very fast, otherwise the shrimps will swim out.
    When you have the shrimp in your hand, be carefull, it will "kick/swim" so fast, that most of the time, if you are not aware, jump out of your hand.
    Another thing, the have a very strong smell. Smell you hands after you have handled the shrimps, I think that the SM, picks the shrimps up from the smell.

You can try this experiment. take a little baitcaster with a sliding ball sinker and tiny hook, #14. after you have caught a couple of shrimps, hook the shrimp on the sliding sinker and hook setup, cast into the rapids, riffles etc, and keep a stop watch. check how long it takes for a SM to pick up the shrimp. You will be pleasantly surprised. Give me feedback on your experiences. Will be interesting to see if it is the same as mine.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Jaco
    many years ago, I learnt from one of the Italian masters.
    Sometimes it is the fly
    Sometimes it is the drift.
    Othertimes it is how you fish the fly.
    and I think with this shrimp, you will catch a lot of fish on the "fly"
    Other times, on the drift but the most important will be "how you fish the fly" that will be very important.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I voted for the shrimp for originality, but I reckon number 12 will catch the most fish - great combo of slender body, colour, triggers and weight. (Although I am a Philistine and would likely tie it even heavier)

These flies are all really well tied, the shrimp is exceptional indeed. I'm currently in hospital, have been for a while, but once I'm back on the leg, I will get the flies posted.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Sorry to hear Chris, hope you up and fishing again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    This particular fly is a combination of various ideas, the glass bead body goes to Gerrit, he tied a shrimp pattern with the clear glass beads as body and it looked very nice! (Gerrit's original fly:Picture 1)

Regarding the rest of the pattern, I tried to add all the other triggers (eyes, legs, feelers & tail). The actual specimen has a slight tan coloured body & back, this I managed with a tan scudback.

The legs was made with stretch chord which I formed with a hot needle, worked out quite nicely!

The last part of the fly is durability, quite pointless in have this very yummy looking fly which comes apart after the first fish. The entire fly is constructed very properly, every part was done & tied off before moving to the next. Lastly the entire body was very generously coated with Sally Hansons (I love this stuff, probably more than my wife! . The catch is that this is not clear Sally Hansons, but has a little tint to it, which adds to the slight tan colouration. This fly will last a looooong time! :biggrin:

Here are some photos, will do a proper SBS at some later stage.Attachment 21794Attachment 21795
    Very very nice.
    I remember seeing this pattern variation first in
    Favoured Flies and Select Techniques of the Experts Vol 5
    Cant remember who the contributor was though - will have to look it up again.
    Can someone remember who tied the shrimp with the clear glass beads?

Well done.

Thanks man! Glad you like it!

Havent seen the one in Favoured Flies and Select Techniques of the Experts, I based mine on the one from Gerrit. Perhaps he got the idea from the book?

Anyways as soon as all the guys get their flies we can get some feedback on how well it actually works!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Thanks man! Glad you like it!

Havent seen the one in Favoured Flies and Select Techniques of the Experts, I based mine on the one from Gerrit. Perhaps he got the idea from the book?

Anyways as soon as all the guys get their flies we can get some feedback on how well it actually works!
    It would be nice to get some flies back after our contributions.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Chris,
    Any feedback on our flies? will they perhaps come with santa?

ho ho ho! :biggrin:

Hi guys,

Any of you heard from Chris lately? I know he said he was in hospital some time back, beginning to wonder if he is not seriously ill!

If any of you know him well could you perhaps just confirm that he is ok?

Best Regards

Jaco

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast