Thread: Para RABs made simple

Default Para RABs made simple

Hi , after toying with a few para RABs I made one or two adjudsments to simplify the process, this might be of help to some of you guys.

1) AFTER TYING IN THE TAIL AND BODY i TIE IN APPROXIMATELY 20 SQUIRREL TAIL FIBRES ( get the soft tails, some I've seen are hard, natural grey squirell tails work best), POINTS in the direction of the hook eye, these can be nice and long, distrance fron eye to tips about two time the length of the shank. Don't wrap right to the eye, leave about 2mm shank open. NB!!!!!!

2)Bury the squirrel butts under thread, ( I use nothing thicker than 8/0 , generally 14/0 Griffiths for this)

3) Tie a post on top of the buried butts, wrapping a definate thread base along the bottom of the post, this will making hackling easier because you actually have a platform around which you can wrap your hackle,

Strip a few fibres off the base of the hackle, tie the stripped stem up the thread platform, ensuring that the shiny side of the hackle faces you. NB!!!!! This will ensure that those fibres face slightly upwards when being wrapped, hackle fibres won't get trapped on consecutive wraps this way.

4) now tie in two peacock herls behind the post, bring thread forward and tie off in front of the post.

5) NB NB NB NB! bring the thread back through the thorax till behind the post then wrap it clockwise arpound the base of the post letting it hang on the shank side closest to you.

6) now gently wrap your hackle in touching wraps DOWN the post, when you get to the bottom hold the hackle off to the left, trap the hackle around the post with two clockwise wraps around the base of the post and then bring the thread Forward and around the open 2mm piece of shank you left clean when tying the squirrel fibres in initially.

7) Now allow yourself to face the eye of the hook, dividing the squirrel fibres to either side of the hook shank, be rough when you do this, really pull them. Now, , holding post, hackle, squirrel etc inthe thumb and forfinger of the left hand make a few thread wraps snugly against the base of the squirrel fibres damming the thread up as you go. this will force some fibres back giving you that lovely halo hackle effect, whip finish .

8) Your squirrel fibres will be facing up if you've done this right, now holding the post(I always tie in the post longer than I need it so I can use it as a handle when pulling fibres into place),pull squirrel fibres down
    Cyt post ( commit to the cyt, giving posts a mini haircut never work, position the scissors and cut)
    And walla, a Para RAB, all bulk has been buried under the post, and at the base of the post, nothing gets tied in at the eye, its just thread. try this if you've been battling.Its a easy way of doing it

Kind regards

Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon; 30-08-13 at 11:35 PM.