Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Invasive species in our rivers

jeesh, not going to win many friends with trout angling fraternity with this argument ...

Quote Originally Posted by johan marais View Post
    Hi Guys. What is your opinion on the Aliens in our rivers.
    These things is put in the system by Humans. Humans must remove them. point.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

(Johan your next move is to ask him if he takes antibiotics when he has a bacterial infection, that'll show him!) (rolleyes)

You have to give it to the Mynah, it's a beautiful bird. Nice pic fp.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Instead of being against something because it is alien, I wish the sentiment were against things that are destructive. I agree that grass carp pose a threat, because they have the ability and inclination to alter a habitat to the extent that it becomes unsuitable for native species. The same goes for species that are able to reproduce and predate so effectively that they completely remove competitors from a habitat. (Barbel can do this, and so can bass under certain conditions, but it's actually quite a rare occurrence) Unfortunately those in positions responsible for managing these things are stuck on the "alien" label, and now all aliens are seen as destructive and unwanted. Trout in South Africa occur within very limited habitat parameters; in effect they are self-zoning and unable to survive outside of those parameters. Perhaps for this reason they have been singled out as a target for eradication - it is a lot easier to destroy a population of trout than, for example, grass carp, and "success" is a foregone conclusion. The logic is lacking, though. Several headwater streams in Mpumalanga would have been under pine monoculture if it weren't for the presence of trout. And, frankly, what would the monetary impact on the Limietberg reserve in the Cape be if suddenly there were no more trout? The truth is that trout now offer a lot of positives to this country to balance out the negatives, much like those other pesky aliens that once invaded South Africa and brought with them medicine, wheels, roads and economic infrastructure.

Mark

Do'nt stress.... trout are here to stay......

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Mark

Do'nt stress.... trout are here to stay......
    If I have something to do with it, then yes they are!

Newton's Third Law shall prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Newton's Third Law shall prevail.
    Well, a variation thereof at least. The reciprocal force will be opposite, but not neccessarily equal...

Im quite happy to kill the alien fish that I don't target. In other words, if Carp, bass etc were to disappear completely from our rivers, I wouldn't shed a tear. As for the trout, well, They are welcome to stay. Smaks a bit of hipocricy I know, but hey, times change, so if the trout do disappear from our rivers, which they are very unlikely to do, we just going to have to adjust our fishing habits. Maybe I will go to the olifants to catch redfin and clanwilliams, maybe learn how to do saltwater fishing, maybe fish a bit less...I don't know, but one thing I do know, trout will always be somewhere close. Theres no way that they will ever succeed in getting rid of them completely.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I have to agree with Andre, you wont be able to get rid of them all and If I catch a carp or bass I will kill it as I target yellowfish. <sarcasm>But why stop there what about those other alien species we brought to South Africa, wheat, mielies and cattle they are just about everywhere, why not get rid of them? I think they have wrecked more natural habitats than trout/carp or bass. </sarcasm>

The biggest threat to our fish is humans and as long as a fish has economical/recreational value it will stay or get introduced. But at least you can rest in the knowledge that you can still target the invasive species on fly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast