Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Invasive species in our rivers

Look...you cant really compare agricultural speicies to alien fish. Farmers have special permits, they operate on particularly zoned land, their is strict control over the possible spead of diseases from these species. Yes, they have killed off most of the natural land, like the Renosterveld of the Overberg, which has made way for thousands of square kilometres of crops. Food has to be produced, so there are limits to the alien species argument. Alien fish do not provide enough of a basic food source, or economic influence. One could go around in circles with this forever, but the fact is, the alien fish are here to stay. Its not like the few Thars on Table Mountain that could get shout out very quickly. If you take into account all the rivers in SA where trout are dominant, it mounts up to thousands of kilometres. How will they ever be able to get all the trout out of the Drakensberg? Just not going to happen. But..our fishing might have to change a bit. It is a real possibility that in a few years to come, trout in the Western Cape could be a thing of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    I have to agree with Andre, you wont be able to get rid of them all and If I catch a carp or bass I will kill it as I target yellowfish. <sarcasm>But why stop there what about those other alien species we brought to South Africa, wheat, mielies and cattle they are just about everywhere, why not get rid of them? I think they have wrecked more natural habitats than trout/carp or bass. </sarcasm>

The biggest threat to our fish is humans and as long as a fish has economical/recreational value it will stay or get introduced. But at least you can rest in the knowledge that you can still target the invasive species on fly
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

True and we need the food but if you want to kill all alien species where do you start/stop

Personal choice. Kill it if you want, if you don't want to kill it, don't. My choice is to kill the bass that I catch in our streams, and to let the trout go. I don't fish for carp, but if one happens tobe stupid enough to eat my fly while I am fishing the Orange...he's gonna die for sure.QUOTE=icstuff;240057]True and we need the food but if you want to kill all alien species where do you start/stop[/QUOTE]
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It is my personal choice to take out all the aliens that don't belong in our rivers and some dams.
    Specialy if it comes to Bass, grass carp. Yes I understand the fact where do you start.
    I belief you must make a small impact for every one that you take out. We won't win but we can have an impact on there numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Personal choice. Kill it if you want, if you don't want to kill it, don't. My choice is to kill the bass that I catch in our streams, and to let the trout go. I don't fish for carp, but if one happens tobe stupid enough to eat my fly while I am fishing the Orange...he's gonna die for sure.QUOTE=icstuff;240057]True and we need the food but if you want to kill all alien species where do you start/stop
    [/QUOTE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3