Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Balsa poppers

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    That's also a good idea, I dind't know there was such a thing as sanding sealer.

I do however find that covering the whole lot in epoxy addresses this. So much so that all my balsa poppers are now being made with full epoxy coatings. They take time but they work brilliantly.
    you should be able to get it at any hardware store. an outdoor wood sealer will work just as well. just something to stop the wood getting saturated with water/paint and your finish looking shoddy
    the patient mental...

Thanks Devlin

I have a hobby shop close to me - will go check how much they charge.

Cheers

and you'll let us know?

oh, and for the guys in durban - hillcrest in particular - there's a hobby shop in heritage market. the owner's name is Barry (or at least it was when i was there last). he should be able to get the stuff for you if he doesn't have it already
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    and you'll let us know?

oh, and for the guys in durban - hillcrest in particular - there's a hobby shop in heritage market. the owner's name is Barry (or at least it was when i was there last). he should be able to get the stuff for you if he doesn't have it already
    Was called Stick Time. Think he closed down, but there's tons of other places that sell Balsa.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Was called Stick Time. Think he closed down, but there's tons of other places that sell Balsa.
    that's them! hell! what a pity. he was sharp
    the patient mental...

Wiets Banned User

The Hobby Shop in High Street Durbanvile doesn't have any Balsa but they did tell me threr is one in Durbanville - close to the traffic Department or thereabouts that has.

Cheers

The dowels were actually pretty difficult to find and in the end I opted for 30mm x 30mm sqaure section.

A couple of years back I stuck two pieces together and it worked fine, just a little more work involved.

Long live the popper!

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    you should be able to get it at any hardware store. an outdoor wood sealer will work just as well. just something to stop the wood getting saturated with water/paint and your finish looking shoddy
    In the dim-distant past - when I used to make model aeroplanes ... we sealed balsa by mixing Johnson's Baby Powder with clear dope - to the consistency of cream. It resulted in a mirror smooth sanded finish to the balsa.

(use it .. don't use it)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

yeh, i used that method too on a few of my planes, but then figured that sanding sealer is just way easier. picked some up this weekend. bloody stuff has gotten pricy, and you can't buy less than 1 litre - that's a hell of a lot of poppers! might even get though all of the balsa Wiets has offerred!
    the patient mental...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast