Thread: Local stream

Default Local stream

IMG-20131216-00843.jpgIMG-20131216-00847.jpg

Hi All,

Finally a successful day, after reading many many articles and advice from fellow anglers.

Fished a stream close to my home, went with low expectations and some rumours that there are yellows.

The stream was not flowing strong but I could see that it was in flood the previous week with all the rain. I spotted aprox. 15 yellows hanging out at the tail of some white water occasionaly moving up to the rapid and then returning to the rest. I used a DDD dry fly with a GRHE olive dropper and flashback nymph. The takes were very subtle but I could luckily see them taking the flies and could strike at the right time.

Managed 3 fish and lost one. The fight was very strong and I managed to practise my safe landing of fish.

Sad thing was that some locals arrived with nets, I explained to them and they said they would not take any yellow fish. Dont know if they will stick to their word.

Ant01
    Last edited by Ant01; 16-12-13 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant01 View Post
    IMG-20131216-00843.jpgIMG-20131216-00847.jpg

Hi All,

Finally a successful day, after reading many many articles and advice from fellow anglers.

Fished a stream close to my home, went with low expectations and some rumours that there are yellows.

The stream was not flowing strong but I could see that it was in flood the previous week with all the rain. I spotted aprox. 15 yellows hanging out at the tail of some white water occasionaly moving up to the rapid and then returning to the rest. I used a DDD dry fly with a GRHE olive dropper and flashback nymph. The takes were very subtle but I could luckily see them taking the flies and could strike at the right time.

Managed 3 fish and lost one. The fight was very strong and I managed to practise my safe landing of fish.

Sad thing was that some locals arrived with nets, I explained to them and they said they would not take any yellow fish. Dont know if they will stick to their word.

Ant01
    Well done Ant.

It's great to hear that there are still yellows in some small streams.

From your first picture it looks like stunning water. You are lucky to have such water close to home.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659