Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tying with Javi

Default Tying with Javi

I picked up a few of these Javi bodies from Soldarini as they looked quite cool and Id never tried them out. I finally got down to tying up a few patterns and this is what came out...

Javi Caddis
    IMG_0520.jpg

Javi GRHE
    IMG_0529.jpg

The bodies give quite a nice taper to the fly and they are tungsten all the way through so they are going to sink like a rock! They also sit inverted which will help keeping them from getting stuck on the bottom.

I did a quick internet search for inspiration but I cant find anything on the Web. Anyone been using these or has seen any cool pics?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Here is a link to see what the bodies start out looking like: http://www.ilgattoconglistivali.it/a...at=278&id=3642
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Looks very cool!!!!!

Nice flies! Silly question if they sit inverted would the dark nymph skin not be the wrong way round so to speak?

It would, youre 100% correct. My thinking was that if the scud or caddis curled up to protect itself as it was washed down stream, it would curve in and not out (foetal position so to speak). This would mean the back is still on the outside. Same would be true with czech nymphs and anything else tied on a grub hook.

Where it does make a difference is on jig hooks. I always tie the shellback on the underside and not the outside, so that it would be on top when the hook is inverted.
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 19-12-13 at 10:03 AM.

Those flies look really great, I also like the fact that the tungsten does not crowd the gape of the hook, should be really nice for smaller flies. What sizes of Javi bodies did you bring in? The reason for my question is really to try and establish how small a hook could one use with the small size Javi body.

This is a medium body on a size 12 hook. Ive put the body on a sz 14 hook - it worked but looked a little cramped. I prefer the idea of a smaller fly on a bigger hook.

Saying that, I would assume that the small body would fit a sz 14 perfectly.

Loving these little Javi HB's! Cant wait for my Richters trip to give them a spin!

20131218_124902.jpg
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 19-12-13 at 10:51 AM.

What material is the tail tied with?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Its just a bit of Hunagrian partridge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast