Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jozini dam Swaziland - Tigers

Spent the weekend fishing for tigers at Pongola dam.
    It is very dry up there. The land owner said it is the driest it has been since 1982.
    The dam is down to 55%. When you drive to the lodge, there is no grass in the veld.
    The weather did not play along, with the whole weekend 17 to 18 degrees, and overcast.
    We caught plenty of fish on the boat, I fly fished, and my friend and his daughter doing the bait trick.
    For Saturday, we had over 60 fish on the boat, the biggest was 2,8kg and a 2,5kg all on bait.
    I got a couple small ones on fly.
    The Sunday, the biggest I got on fly was 2kg and a couple between 1,5kg and 2 kg on bait.
    The biggest fish for the weekend between about 30 anglers (fly, spinning and bait was the 2,5kg)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Jozini dam is a massive piece of water.
    The total length is 24km from inlet to wall.
    Width is 5km
    The total storage capacity is 2267 million cubic meters
    The total of ALL the dams in the Western Cape is only 1853 million cubic meters
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

A couple of photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Spent the weekend fishing for tigers at Pongola dam.
    It is very dry up there. The land owner said it is the driest it has been since 1982.
    The dam is down to 55%. When you drive to the lodge, there is no grass in the veld.
    The weather did not play along, with the whole weekend 17 to 18 degrees, and overcast.
    We caught plenty of fish on the boat, I fly fished, and my friend and his daughter doing the bait trick.
    For Saturday, we had over 60 fish on the boat, the biggest was 2,8kg and a 2,5kg all on bait.
    I got a couple small ones on fly.
    The Sunday, the biggest I got on fly was 2kg and a couple between 1,5kg and 2 kg on bait.
    The biggest fish for the weekend between about 30 anglers (fly, spinning and bait was the 2,5kg)
    What weight rod did you use and what flies did you use?

I'm planning a trip for October and want to start preparing.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

#6 or #7
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...Fiber-Baitfish
    I tie 20 or so of this pattern in ALL WHITE.
    With it, I take a couple of permanent markers.
    My best colors has been dark blue back, little green along the lateral line.
    Red for the gills and black stripes for the barring.
    I have tried various patterns thru many trips to the dam and this has consistently produced the most fish by far.
    Korrie Broos

Where are you going to stay?
    Have you booked?
    I tried to get a booking for 2017 mid September to End October for a group from the Cape.
    Pongola Game Reserve was almost fully booked for all the weekends.
    Only some spots left in one or 2 of the camps.
    Korrie Broos

The dam is the lowest it has been since Cyclone Dimoina, and that is more than 30 years ago.
    If you take your own boat, make sure about the launching facilities where you are going.
    I spoke to Pongola Game reserve, and some launching facilities have been closed and other mooring spots are not useable at this stage.
    Bear in mind, the winter is coming with no rain suppose to fall in the next 4 or 5 months, so the dam will be even lower in October
    Korrie Broos

We are looking at staying down on the south east side at the Fish eagle camp site. We haven't booked yet.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

I suggest you book ASAP.
    You might be planning the fantastic trip and end up with no where to stay.
    Jozini have been "discovered" in the last 5 years.
    Very low malaria risk, super game viewing, excellent accommodation, and 4 hours drive from DBN or JHB, with excellent fishing.
    Korrie Broos

I stayed at Jozini Tiger lodge last May on a bike trip. Really awesome place. Got a boat and a guide for a day.
    We landed around 23 tiger and 4 barbel between the two of us.
    Not on fly though.
    20150513_120006.jpg
    20150513_091409.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast