Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Why cant i cast into my backing?

a very simple demonstration.
    Lets pretend you are playing darts.

Throw the dart to the dart board.
    The most important part is the last 15 or 20cm
    Your hand start from a stationary position, round about your eye/ear and then accelarate and the last 15 or 20cm you gather real speed and your fingers propel the dart to the dart board.
    when you are casting, you are doing the same action, but YOU, are not doing the last 15cm. There is no power to shoot the last bit of your line (leader).
    You need now to practice the last 15cm of you cast, where your THUMB is pushing the rod so that the rod tip, to about 30 degree above the horizon. Will do a basic sketch, when I have a bit more time.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks for the feedback guys, way too technical for a Monday afternoon after a long weekend, will read in detail tomorrow morning when I have my coffee break.. hehe!

Korrie your dart analogy makes a lot of sense, come to think of it, I suck with darts as well... perhaps I should practise my darts first and then sort out my casting! (and while I am at it have a few beers as well.. )

There is one way to see if your casting stroke is good for long distance casting and also helps you get the fast stop learnt.Strap the butt section of the rod to your wrist,in this way you cannot break the wrist to flick the rod which can cause all sorts of problems for beginners because they see the top guys breaking the wrist.Yes they do but they have come t understand the stroke and know when to break.fly strap.jpg

my Piccaso casting impression

The promblem that you have, is that the last 15 or 20cm, you are not doing it right at the end.
    You are the doing the "last 15 or 20cm" half way on the forward cast. and then pushing the rod forward.
    Think about the dart analogy.
    Which part of the dart throw is the most important. the last "flick"

The basics is that you need to keep your hand with the rod, in the backward position, until it is almost straight.
    RIght at the end, "throw" the dart, where your rod moves from the backward position, to the forward position.
    That is what straightens your leader.
    Hope it helps. if not, let me know and I will use one or 2 other analogies, to create the impression in you mind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xak_usK0i6E
    In this video clip, you can every now and again, in the slow sections, when he is describing what to do, see the last 15cm or 20cm very easily. at 3.12 and 3.13 minutes you can see the final 15cm.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    Hi flynatic...this happens when you stop your line abruptly midair whilst overpowering your line causing it to snap back at an angle like that. This same technique is used overhead causing the "snap back" and you nymph entering the water first. Doing this on in outword casting angle will cause the line to snap back to the side...
    Emjaysmit, thanks for this very detailed write-up! Makes alot of sense and you make some very interesting points!

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    my Piccaso casting impression

The promblem that you have, is that the last 15 or 20cm, you are not doing it right at the end.
    You are the doing the "last 15 or 20cm" half way on the forward cast. and then pushing the rod forward.
    Think about the dart analogy.
    Which part of the dart throw is the most important. the last "flick"

The basics is that you need to keep your hand with the rod, in the backward position, until it is almost straight.
    RIght at the end, "throw" the dart, where your rod moves from the backward position, to the forward position.
    That is what straightens your leader.
    Hope it helps. if not, let me know and I will use one or 2 other analogies, to create the impression in you mind
    Thanks Korrie, makes sense thank you!

Now could you perhaps help me with one more thing, at what time during the forward stroke do you introduce the forward haul? For some reason the haul on the back cast comes very natural, however the foward haul causes all sorts of issues, so I end up not hauling on the foward cast which kinda defeats the point.. perhaps I must start casting backwards!

You can indicate the moment of hauling on your picasso masterpiece if you like?

Thanks Korrie!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Thanks Korrie, makes sense thank you!

Now could you perhaps help me with one more thing, at what time during the forward stroke do you introduce the forward haul? For some reason the haul on the back cast comes very natural, however the foward haul causes all sorts of issues, so I end up not hauling on the foward cast which kinda defeats the point.. perhaps I must start casting backwards!

You can indicate the moment of hauling on your picasso masterpiece if you like?

Thanks Korrie!
    My forward haul starts when my hand is visible thru my LEFT eye, if I am casting right handed.
    So it is just in front of my face, maybe level with my nose.

BUT AND A VERY BIG BUT. the casting stroke, and haul depends on the rod and the line that you fish.
    With a softer rod, you might want to start a bit earlier, and a faster line a bit later.
    The more you cast and gain experience, the more you will get the "feel" of the rod, line, sweet spot etc.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Super_daav View Post
    Emjaysmit, thanks for this very detailed write-up! Makes alot of sense and you make some very interesting points!
    Thanks alot super_daav... https://www.google.co.za/url?q=http:...nc62Qkk8lF7tVw ...Carl Mcneil explains this in detail in a very short informative clip...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

in this video clip, the intro has a lovely view of the double haul
    http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...AibvCgfP.2RAOw
    Korrie Broos

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast