Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Why cant i cast into my backing?

What blank is that alex?

Hi Alex
    Yes, it is a lovely rod, by no means "SUPER FAST" just a lovely fishing rod.
    The timing of the caster is superb, lovely action.
    Yip I do enjoy my rod. I alternate my fishing between the rod you build me and another 10 footer.
    With the high water like we have now, the longer rod, is the one used most.
    Lower water I take out your rod.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

cannot find barrio or burnett blanks on google?post a link please

for some of the newer forumers that dont know Catman (Alex)
    His "trademark" is wooden grips and tartan rod socks.
    Each rod, is an absolute master piece.
    The finishing on the wooden grips, and wrapping is superb.
    I have one of his rods, and fish it only on special occasions, as I am so afraid, that something might "happen" to the hand work.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If your flyline is falling perfectly straight, your leader and tippet is your problem. Balance them for your presentation.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    If your flyline is falling perfectly straight, your leader and tippet is your problem. Balance them for your presentation.
    Care to elaborate Dave?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

This may help with reaching the 100 ft mark, it elaborates on the essentials for a long distance cast.

Looks so easy when you do it right. Really pisses me off!! :-)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

To answer on OP original question , with this long post , hope it will work ::wink:
    You cannot cast into your backing probably because you cannot cast properly at 15 m as well.
    I am not saying you cannot reach 15m with your fly, I am saying you can, but your cast is not proper .
    That's why you cannot reach 30 m, nobody can do that with wrong technique applied for 15m cast .
    Nobody can immediately cast 30 m , if he doesn't understand casting mechanics and apply that first for short ,than medium and than long distance cast .
    Few things which are important for achieving that 30 m are:
    1. Understanding of casting mechanics - how fly casting works and understanding of fly casting terms -casting language
    2. Filming your self - often we are doing something very different than we consider (you will be surprised how your grip is wrong, how stroke is too short for the given ammount of the line in the air , how your back cast is directed too low behind you , how your wrist is moving all the time during a stroke creating wide loops , how your line is not under tension creating too much of slack in the system , how your haul is out of timing and full of slack as well , and as a result of previous mistakes how too much power is applied in the beginning of the cast instead on the end (to compensate slack) - creating tailing loops , how you do not cast in the same plane , how you do not have SLP in your stroke , how .....you name it)
    3. Be able to understand why your cast is not proper and where is the mistake (for that you need to know 1 , and to do 2) , in other words be able to "read" the loop shape as a result of your casting.
    4. Practice smartly , thing by thing, not everything in the same time ,where fixing of bad habits will be priority
    5. Find Fly Fishing Instructor ,or someone who can really cast and have knowledge to explain (because there is no FFF or EFFF instructor in SA) -nobody can really learn to cast properly without fly casting lessons, do not fool your self
    6. Find proper Fly Casting site and start to learn and read other people like you experience - there is only one proper fly casting site on this World- Sexyloops.com (look for the old Boardhttp://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theboard_07/ikonboard.cgi : where you can find +3.500 or something of my posts and more than 150 Front Pages in archive,which I wrote from South Africa ) .
    Most of knowledgeable Instructors and Master Instructors from all around the World are there to help you-subscribe and ask them whatever you want, they will reply. On the main site you can find about +6.000 pages (!) of Fly Casting instructions, articles and videos .Some of the biggest names in modern Fly Casting like Jason Borger, Bruce Richards ,Bill Gamel( famous Five Essentials of FC) ...are there ....

Paul Arden , owner of Sexyloops, the first guy on this World who exposed secret of fly casting (free of charge) publicly on his site , can cast 42-43 m with #5 outfit .
    I was like you, fishing and wrongly casting for 20 years before I met Paul and realise there is a whole new world of Fly Casting .
    It took me few lessons with him and another 2-3 years to fix my bad habits, and only than I to start to learn proper casting .
    As from 2002 , I start to cast properly, and made my first 30 m cast with little or no effort. The rest is a history.
    Paul and I fished Balkan Rivers from that time almost every year , he moved from London to Hungary , I moved from Serbia to SA , he established FFF exams in Serbia , Croatia and Hungary and lots of my and his students become FFF Instructors, plus one Master (my best student)

Lots of those students from Balkans , now can cast over 36 meters , looking to reach 40 m this year.
    Only few years ago, they looked at me as a Superman, because of my plus 30 meters casts, while they struggle to cast over 25 m with proper loop.
    I stop at +30 m there because of my right shoulder (destroyed not only with wrong fly casting from the past , but with archery as well) and tennis elbow, but I still made to teach them to overthrow me for few meters, and this this the biggest thing for me after I manage my first 30 meters mark .

Another example is Carl McNeil , a very good friend of mine, who come to Sexyloops years a go , start to learn from the scratch and become one of the first New Zealand (if not the first one) Instructor, than Master and than one of the most recognized Fly Casting teacher in the World, with his amazing video clips (do not forget his fast glass Epic- fantastic rods !)

So , everything is possible, you only have to choose the right way, not the wrong one.
    I cannot stress it enough how much learning of proper casting changed my Fly Fishing it self , making it easy ,smooth and enjoyable experience , instead of self-torture and disappointment on every fly fishing trip from the past time when my casting simply sucks .
    Cheers and Good Luck ,
    Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 13-05-14 at 10:46 PM.

Thank you Dr Zoran, will try out the tips on Thursday.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast