Thread: cooking old trout

Default cooking old trout

Hey guys, I have a lonely Brookbow (brookwood stock trout) that's been in my fridge for quite a while now (few months). I know it will not taste the best, but should it still be edible and how should I prepare it? (January blues in full swing now! :biggrin: )

sashimi?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Trout Pasta Recipe for your trout

Ingredients :

1 rainbow trout (not bigger than 1kg)

1 x 500 gr packet of your favourite pasta or noodles

2 Onions

( Good to add to this dish: 1 cup chopped mushrooms, 1 green pepper chopped) Freshly chopped parsley and coriander to taste

2 packets of your favourite cheese sauce

Salt and grounded black pepper to taste

Preparation :

You can use fresh trout or smoked trout for this recipe.

Fresh trout : bake 1 kg trout in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, remove from oven and cool down to de-bone.

Flake the flesh of the fish from the bones….make sure that all the bones are removed.

Take 2 finely chopped onions, 1 green pepper and 1 cup of mushrooms and fry this together in a bit of olive oil. Season lightly with salt and grounded black pepper.

After you've cooked your favourite pasta/noodles for 5-10 minutes, remove from water and add the fried onion- and mushroom mix with the de-boned trout to the pasta/noodles.

Take your favourite cheese sauce and add this to the dish, with the coriander and parsley to taste.

A good variation on this is to add garlic to taste and at least 250 ml fresh cream to the dish.

This dish is just as good the next morning on toast !

Enjoy your trout pasta !

This is a killer for me hope you enjoy it too...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Ended up stuffing the thing with garlic and onion butter mix, and on the braai in foil. Turned out fine. You could tell it wasn't fresh from the water, but we were actually impressed.

Also, we had no "day after" restroom casualties, so all fine :-)

Quote Originally Posted by emjaysmit View Post
    Trout Pasta Recipe for your trout

Ingredients :

1 rainbow trout (not bigger than 1kg)

1 x 500 gr packet of your favourite pasta or noodles

2 Onions

( Good to add to this dish: 1 cup chopped mushrooms, 1 green pepper chopped) Freshly chopped parsley and coriander to taste

2 packets of your favourite cheese sauce

Salt and grounded black pepper to taste

Preparation :

You can use fresh trout or smoked trout for this recipe.

Fresh trout : bake 1 kg trout in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, remove from oven and cool down to de-bone.

Flake the flesh of the fish from the bones….make sure that all the bones are removed.

Take 2 finely chopped onions, 1 green pepper and 1 cup of mushrooms and fry this together in a bit of olive oil. Season lightly with salt and grounded black pepper.

After you've cooked your favourite pasta/noodles for 5-10 minutes, remove from water and add the fried onion- and mushroom mix with the de-boned trout to the pasta/noodles.

Take your favourite cheese sauce and add this to the dish, with the coriander and parsley to taste.

A good variation on this is to add garlic to taste and at least 250 ml fresh cream to the dish.

This dish is just as good the next morning on toast !

Enjoy your trout pasta !

This is a killer for me hope you enjoy it too...
    I just came across this recipe. I may try it out one of these days.

I also have a few trout in my fridge. I got them from a fishing trip a few months back and I completely forgot about them. Ill try your recipe. Im praying it wont upset my family's stomach.