Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act - 12 February 2014. - The End?

I was under the impression that the World Bank only funded the initial EIA
    Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Grant,

I understood your point perfectly, I am just telling you in a nice way that it is idealistic and naive. Cape Nature is funded by our tax money. Their rotenone projects are funded by the World Bank and a couple of other donors and their is no shortage of money for these projects. What you are essentially saying is let's pay them a bribe and hopefully they won't destroy our rivers in return. They would either laugh in your face at the suggestion or rub their hands in glee at all the extra money they could spend. Until they can demonstrate decent leadership, proper financial control and scientific biodiversity, I am not that sure that I want to pay them another R7 for every spool of tippet I buy.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    You asked for thoughts (twice), and I shared mine. You don't have to agree with my point of view, just like I feel no obligation to agree with yours. One thing I have been, is actively involved in the process and dealt with the people involved over the years, which probably accounts for my informed "negative" opinion. It's easy to sit on the outside, do no research and propose that throwing some money at it will make it go away.

http://cdn3.cubiclebot.com/wp-conten...d-Opinions.gif
    That comic just blew my mind o.o
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I am trying to match you with one of the cartoon characters, but I think, both is a good match to you.

http://static.someecards.com/someeca...68_5138593.png
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I was under the impression that the World Bank only funded the initial EIA
    Your impression was wrong. Plenty of money available for these projects.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    So what is your suggested solution Darryl? Be positive for a change if that is possible and let us know what you think might help us be able to fish for trout in the future?

If you are so well informed, and are not on the outside, tell us how we can help.
    Mid Nov 2013 I resigned as CPS chairman and from the committee as well as from FAF and other engagement with CN so I am no longer officially involved in the process. I have however seen most of correspondence from FOSAF and others around responses to NEM:BA. My view is that it's going to be very tricky to hold onto our waters in the long term. The one thing that is sure is that if we do lose access to our waters or if they are poisoned, the amount of illegal stockings that will take place will be substantial, and not necessarily with the same species that were there before (I don't endorse these ideas but understand the reasoning behind them). CN know this but how they play their cards over the next couple of years will be interesting. If they care more about money and publishing scientific papers around rotenone use and river rehabilitation, then it will ultimately be a lose/lose situation.

The positive side is that we might be able to still sit on the banks of the Smalblaar and sing Kumbaya while the Rastas gather herbs and the Zionist church members collect water.
    Last edited by dlampert; 07-03-14 at 08:04 PM.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

By "our waters" do you mean CPS?

Or do you mean all trout waters
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    By "our waters" do you mean CPS?

Or do you mean all trout waters
    CPS waters are particularly at risk because they are in a government controlled nature reserve but all trout waters are at risk.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

having a conversation with yourself then, because you are regurgitating the same sh1t over and over
    Last edited by Korrie; 08-03-14 at 09:29 AM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I have to admit, I have not read thru the whole report yet.
    a couple of points.
    It is all good and well, to have the ideals of eradicating the rivers of alien fish. But what is the true economic value of alien species in our ecosystem.
    How many jobs will be lost? Not hunderds but thousands and thousands of jobs.
    The revenue generated every year towards the fiscus, it is Billions of rands, Will that be replaced by people fishing for red fin minnows, or some galaxia in the streams of Rhodes?
    Then we have the "environmental terrorists". I have heard of a couple of people that said, they will get "birds to wade in between spawning fish, so that the birds will drop the eggs in the rivers". I know of about 30 little streams in the cape that have trout in it. there is no way, they will be able to erradicate all the streams at the same time, so that there are no fish left to restock. This applies for the bass fishermen, and the carp fishermen.
    Unless the fishing fraternity buys into the whole conservation effort and protection, the government and conservation bodies, are fighting a losing battle. are they going to Rotenone the Smalblaar/Elandspad every 3 years? Even the stiffest penalties will not deter some people, restocking streams.
    There is an interesting fact about pickpockets. During the industrial revolution, Pickpockets used to be hanged in England, and the most likely place to get your pocket picked was at a pickpocket hanging. So stiff penalties will not stop them.
    If we want to fight this, this is the election year, show the ruling party how many jobs will be lost. Show the government how much money will be out of the system.
    I have added the numbers that are directly involved in the recreational side of trout fishing in the Cape only. It has added up to about 200 plus. (for those who want to know how I got to the number, a couple of fly shops, guides, trout hatcheries, CPS Staff, guest houses/lodges etc) what about the indirect jobs? Take the bass guys, how many jobs are there? never mind the carp fishermen. (for those who complain about the Papgooiers and the dirt that some leave, or that could be buggering up Sterkfontein with artlures, these guys could end up as our biggest assets/friends in this fight)
    The money spent on tackle/accomodation/fuel/food/etc, what is the VAT and levies on those.
    what about the who are fishing for certain alien species as a source of protein, with what will the government replace this protein? Stolen sheep and cows? Or imported chickens from Brazil.
    Less than 30% of the people in gauteng registered for e-Toll, and e-Toll is heading oneway, if the all the fishermen stand together, no ways that this bill will be passed.

A future solution should show the government and conservation agencies, how to harness the alien species, protect jobs and even create more jobs with them, yet, protect indigenous fish. Somewhere between the 2 extremes, a workable middle path should be there, to walk on, for all interested and affected parties
    Last edited by Korrie; 08-03-14 at 12:52 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Time for objections running out ........

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast