Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sterkfontein

Zoran, 110% agree with you there allcthe way. Walk and watch, specifically ar a venue that affords such clear water is an absolute must.

In saying that, I remember from years ago when I was able to fish that there are specific areas that fish tend to gravitate towards. At a venue the size of Sterkies, knowing 1 or 2 of these can make a nice difference!

As for the casting and presentation...well I can only be extremely grateful that I will be alone without anyone to witness the sure mess I am going to be making to start with. As with anything time, effort and practice is crucial to being able to stand a chance. Its my biggest worry for the weekend.

Still, its my first go in many a year and I will make the most of it and hopefully come back to share some valuable "do not do" tips for everyone!!

Thanks Monster.

In no way was I trying to take hard earn experience and just use it. I could have lurked and done so eventually but I chose to ask the more experienced members for advice.

At the end of the day you guys are all trying to assist FT and FF in a way and I have to appreciate and respect that.

Buy Herman a six pack of cold Windhoek and you will be best of mates

He showed me the ropes on the Vaal...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

I'll give that a go Bryan. I'm not out to cause k#k.

Well, no more than I may already have...

I have a really silly question. I have read about special line treatments for dry fly fishing to get the line to sink, tippet and leader. However failing those, guys talk about using mud.

Is there a specific mud as such? Does it need to be clay or "normal" sand mud? I am sure I tried it before but for the life of me cannot remember it working or not and I'm a bit worried that by using the wrong type I could damage the line.

I even read someone mention a mixture of sunlight and some type of mud, may have been clay but I cant rightly recall.

I am sure that if there are the "wrong" types of mud, specifically that which may cause damage or affect the fishing this would be beneficial to quite a few people to know?

Loon Snake River mud is what you are probably looking for. Available from most decent fly shops.
    https://www.loonoutdoors.com/products.html#sinkets
    Cheers
    Wyatt

You can just use sterkies mud it's way cheaper than snake river mud all you need to do is take the shine off the leader so it doesn't 1flash & 2sit in the surface film
    One technique that works very well in sterkies once you've done your walk is find a bay with a big shallow shelf and cruising fish then wade out slowly as deep as you can and fish back towards the beach
    I find the fish are much more tolerant of this approach they happily swim. Between u and the bank
    Where as when you are on the bank in your recce leopard crawl pose they run for the hills as soon as you lift your head more than 3mm off the deck
    Good luck
    Post pictures
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Thank you Wyatt. I shall see if I can stop off and try find some tomorrow.

Damage, failing the Loon, I will try the Sterkies mud.

As for your suggestion / tip, I think I will give that a go. I did not think about the fish being more comfortable with the body on the bank as such. I thought more along the lines of where the food source would originate from. Hoppers and beetles one would imagine would be closer to the banks and therefore fishing towards the bank or slightly parallel would make some sense.

Its going to be interesting all round. Just cant wait to try.

If you are fishing from the bank, it is far more productive to keep your casts in the 130 - 170 degree range and work along a section slowly like this. Look as far ahead of you as what you can see and keep an eye out for anomalies in the ripples both colour and breaks in the surface pattern. Polaroids are vital, almost not worth bothering without them...

I find that although it is easier to see the fish when they are at 90 degrees to you, they have almost always already seen you and, although they not appear to be spooked, will not take you offering...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Yip the theory ( if fish understand theory is still to be determined ) is that the fish are looking at the bank for food being blown off the grass or pushed up against it by the wind so being on the bank puts you in their vision window
    If you are on the bank go slow go low and a lil bit of cammo or isn't a bad thing :0)
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast