Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Sterkfontein

If I could fish Sterkies more often it would be a dream.

However by more I meant just plain old ff in general. In early to mid 2000's I spent nearly every second weekend on the vaal. Business took us up to Lydenburg, Whiteriver and Komati and we were able to fish a whole lot more.

Job changes and the start of a family have changed things in a big way and now I am lucky to unpack my rods once every year. This weekend has really brought back the need to get on the water.

Ah well, such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallie View Post
    Oh, and @pieterkriel,

I AM NOT A BLOODY LURKER!!!!

I was referring to myself:smile:
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

well done on the fish and report back !!
    there are two types of flying ant hatches that ive seen both with spectacular surface action
    the "normal " flying ants the fish don't seem to be fussy and eat hoppers and the odd plopped beetle
    the second its a smaller black ant with white wings
    if you don't have a fly that looks like that ant you will struggle
    luckily its one of the simplest flys to tie just a cdc feather wrapped with a "v" of antron
    for wings
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Damage, those are the ants I had. Way too small when the traditional ants hatch I realised too late.

Been trying to figure out if I can try tie an ant pattern. Nice and sleak, but bulky body and somehow get the wings. I am sure that will make a big difference with the fly.

See post #226 on here: http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...light=sterkies

Proven operator, very simple tie...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Thanks Bryan. That does look very good. Recon I could get it right eventually.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6