Thread: Johannesburg South fishing

Default Johannesburg South fishing

Guys,

Does there exist a record of any sorts for fishing spots in the Jhb South area?

Obviously I have knowledge of the Vaal, which is just a bit too far for an hour or so. I see some posts on the Klip but I am not sure that the accessible spots would be great due to pollution and possibly the safety issue. Maybe I am wrong in that?

However, getting to the point, after spending time at Sterkies after such a long time away I really want to get more involved again. To do so I would like to find a nice spot or a few where I can practice and get more into things.

Anyone based in Jhb South, Alberton, Glenvista areas who knows of anything perhaps?

Sorry Smallie, but South of Alberton, all the streams and rivers are history due to pollution. I drove around the Eikenhoff area about 4 weeks ago and every stream looked " SIF". I tied the Klip in Meyerton about 7 years ago, and the only rubbish I did not catch was a dead body .

If you are in Alberton or further south, your nearest decent spot is Erina, about 45 minutes drive.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

That was my fear.

When I lived in the north there were far more possibilities, still water and stream wise. Just in Bromhof there was a lovely little dam and stream I got a few barbel and carp.

I think I will try look into whatever stream feeds the dams on the crown mines golf course. The waters are teaming with fish. Carp, barbel and some really good looking bass. The frog and crab life is very healthy and they are a very good indicator of water quality normally so its a good looking sign to begin with.

Looking at how many people are doing well with carp I think that could be worth a go, quite a few open dams I could attempt. Not a yellow but still a challenge of note and thats what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallie View Post
    That was my fear.

When I lived in the north there were far more possibilities, still water and stream wise. Just in Bromhof there was a lovely little dam and stream I got a few barbel and carp.

I think I will try look into whatever stream feeds the dams on the crown mines golf course. The waters are teaming with fish. Carp, barbel and some really good looking bass. The frog and crab life is very healthy and they are a very good indicator of water quality normally so its a good looking sign to begin with.

Looking at how many people are doing well with carp I think that could be worth a go, quite a few open dams I could attempt. Not a yellow but still a challenge of note and thats what I like.
    Why not fish the dams on the golf course ? :wink: Pack a rod into a golf bag, pay for your round, then spend the next 6 hours fishing the dams. :biggrin:
    I would love to see the reaction from the golfers:smile:
    If they moan, just tell them your taking a leaf out of Pieter Matkovitch's book. He always carried a rod in his golf bag.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Smallie - care to elucidate about that dam in Bromhof? I live about 10 minutes from Bromhof!

Herman its quite sad. There used to be fishing allowed on the course at times. My Dad told me that they used to host a father/son golf and fishing day. Wish they could bring that back.

Then it was stopped due to people going stupid and killing fish to take away with them.

I actually thought of contacting the course to see if something could be arranged again. Think I should do that!

Scooterza, the dam is on Nyala road, behind the Golden Harvest Village. Speaking of, Golden Harvest Park supposedly has some bass water, cant confirm that though.

As for the Nyala road dam, it had a stream running towards Malibongwe way and there were 2 or 3 spots below the dam with small pools. There was a man made square pool below the dam that held a good few barbel.

I cannot tell you whether the water is still any good though. I last went there about 4 years ago.

A guy I played hockey with lived on the same stream further on the other side of malibongwe. Had a few braais there and without knowing what they were, I do recall activity in the water that side too.