Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swinging for Yellows

Default Swinging for Yellows

I have been wondering if any of you actively swing streamers or other flies for yellows (not talking largies here) on sinking lines and if so what flies and basic gear & technique do you employ?

I am not all that familiar with swinging flies and wondered if it has any application on our waters, especially getting flies down in faster currents.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Soft hackles and spider patterns have been very succesful for me.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I have caught quite a few fish on this technique.

I was screwing around on the Orange, changed to an inter-line, and tied on a Dragon as a control fly and then a soft hackle at point. It work really well, you control the drift like most long range nymphing techniques, but then lift and swing across the current at the tail of the run out. I found that sometime the fish like some artificial drag on the flies to induce the take.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

You don't need sinking lines, a normal floater, will work fine, its a great technique that has been used for years by many people. the trick is to try and keep the line as straight as possible, and keep in touck, a few twitches on the line also works well. I love this technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I have been wondering if any of you actively swing streamers or other flies for yellows (not talking largies here) on sinking lines and if so what flies and basic gear & technique do you employ?

I am not all that familiar with swinging flies and wondered if it has any application on our waters, especially getting flies down in faster currents.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I have never done or seen this - can someone please explain the basics to me? Would love to try something new.

google "wet fly downstream"
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Its more like "upstream, across and down". You still want to get the longest possible drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    google "wet fly downstream"
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Basics are easy, and not new at all. Been done for years, in fact it was the "de facto method that some yellowfish pioneers used to catch yellows on the Vaal and Orange until Czech nymphing was discovered. Cast out about 45 degrees upstream, allow the flies to drift, while keeping the line straight by drawing in excess line, and mending with the current. Let the flies drift past you, and come across the current downstream... Once the line has straightened behind you, give a few twitches as this is very often when you might get a fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    I have never done or seen this - can someone please explain the basics to me? Would love to try something new.
    Last edited by Andre; 03-03-14 at 09:17 AM.

And once your line is directly downstream from you let it lie there a bit. The way the water catches your fly line gives the fly loads of movement and you will be surprised how many fish you can pick up like this.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Yes, also one of the reasons, is that as the line straightens behind you, the flies rise. The fish seem to like this. Make sure when doing this technique, that the you lift as much line off the water as possible, so as to stay directly in touch with the flies. The straighter the line between flies and rod tip, the better you will feel the touches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    And once your line is directly downstream from you let it lie there a bit. The way the water catches your fly line gives the fly loads of movement and you will be surprised how many fish you can pick up like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast