Thread: Yellows in and around Nelspruit

Default Yellows in and around Nelspruit

Hey guys I was wondering if someone has actively fished for yellow's in and around nelspruit?
    like the crocodile and sterkspruit rivers?
    if you have do you know where , when and what to target them on?
    any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Has anyone ever fished for the fish at the bottom of Bourke's Luck Potholes?
    Has always been very tempting for me.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie, there are some guys in the that fished the area before and there are some huge yellows coming out...

Just upstrem from the potholes are my favourite area, very difficult, but rewarding and beautiful surroundings.

The bridge at Alkmaar is a good spot, ive seen hundreds of yellows there... Catching them is a different story...

Ive tried everything, my go-to flies were ptn variants with the longest thinnest leader possible. And leopard crawl to the water...they are really skittish.

Troep , we fished the rivulets bridge the other day and had alot of pulls but no hookups , also could be due to it only being my second try at fly fishing. lol

Alkmaar Geeles het 'n dry fly naam op hulle na laas week Leo!!!
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Catching yellows on dry fly is probably the most underrated way to catch them. I spend probably 90% of my fishing these days throwing dry and dropper. Do the small and large scales also easily come up for dries?
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Hey Yella I have absolutely no idea but that is our port of call next time. Spent about 15minutes there and beyond a big rock they were smashing every single thing floating on the surface. We have read countless articles and it seems the local Lowveld Large scale yellow is the greediest of the species when it comes to dry fly action. So we will be testing the theory quite soon. Will keep you all posted...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Im having loads of success with big stimulators, they float high and if you cast it around structure where you see fish rising they smash it. I think the stimulators are close enough to emulate big caddis and some terestrials, so you cover a few bases.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict