Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are the Vaal river yellows getting educated

Default Are the Vaal river yellows getting educated

Isn't Thabazimbi in Limpopo? I'm pretty sure in MP and L, nobody can read.

Damn that Hendrik Verwoerd.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I get the chance to fish some private waters on the middle vaal and it seem to me there is a remarkable difference in fishing there compared to places that are fished often.

Strangely enough I find places where there is traditional fishing isnt as badly affected if its on a catch and release basis, but places with lots of fly fishing pressure does seem to make fish fly shy. The problem is that I dont keep book on anything, so it could all be my imagination. Its so much more fun to fish if you know a place doesnt see fishing pressure and you might put in more concentration and effort.

I don't believe in fish becoming educated. Sometimes, depending on conditions, the fish can be caught easily, other times, also depending on conditions, they acan be hard to catch. It basically all depends on fish numbers, competition for food, and prevailing weather and water conditions. I have been fishing for yellows on the Orange, where one day, we could do no wrong. Literally hundreds of fish came to the nets. The very next day, there were about 5 fishcaught and most of the guys blanked... You mean to say that all of a sudden, the fish got wise...? Pullleeeeze.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Im pretty sure if a fish got caught by something that isnt an exact reproduction of something in the river several times they will get shy of it. Places for instance where you have lots of fly fishers on the same stretch every weekend the fish tend to be wary of bigger flies with flashy beads on them. There is some articles where even gold fish could be taught new behaviour by conditioning.

If you imitate the stuff living in the river good enough it probably shouldnt make a difference - thats why I fish small flies without beads etc when I get to places with lots of pressure and they do seem to work better.

Andre I agree about the conditions - I have seen it too where the same place can be brilliant or can be tough, that makes it hard to say Im 100% sure about what Im saying above.

I spoke to an old friend today who is one of the old fly fishing pioneers of yellowfish on the Vaal and Orange. One of the guys who first started Czech nymphing in SA after bringing the technique back from one of the World championships several years ago, and who has several gold medals from SA National competitions. We spoke specifically about his subject of Vaal yellows becoming "educated", and he is convinced that the fish have wised up to current techniques being chucked at them by every man and his dog, so perhaps I might have to review my opinion on this, in light of new evidence from more experienced old pro's. Gone are the days where you can expect 50 plus yellows in a day, by throwing orange beads, on size 12 flies. The future key to catching large numbers of yellows, is basically a more technical approach, which involves stealthy wading, reading water properly, and fishing natural nymphs in smaller sizes. He tells me that he rarely has flies in his box these days, that are larger than size 16, and even control flies are lightly weighted, and in natural colours with very little, or no flash.... all very interesting.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The fish are as dumb as ever. It is the conditions of the water that has changed. Throw a size 10 in a school of 50 fish and one of them will be dumb enough to taste it. Throw it into a school of 5 and your chances are reduced drastically.
    Last edited by redhumpy; 24-03-14 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Ian's spell check

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2