Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mens A Nationals 2014

Congratulations Korrie!!! ... you did us proud
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Congrats to all!!

Some observations I have about this result and comp fishing in general;

1) The rise of Daniel in comp ff and others Matt,etc.
    2) The consistency of GGY reminds me of Martin Dros always there or thereabout.
    3) The advantage of "home waters". DF guides at Verlorenkloof, no? I'm not taking anything away from his achievement, still had to produce the goods!
    4) Could be a lesson for future trips to the worlds? Ja ja ek weet julle kry gewoonlik guides in die area,etc but's a no-brainer to me that home water plays a major part in comps why else would the elite send their scouts to fish the waters of the comp beforehand????? Info is king!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-03-14 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Congrats to all!!

Some observations I have about this result and comp fishing in general;

1) The rise of Daniel in comp ff and others Matt,etc.
    2) The consistency of GGY reminds me of Martin Dros always there or thereabout.
    3) The advantage of "home waters". DF guides at Verloren Kloof, no? I'm not taking anything away from his achievement, still had to produce the goods!
    4) Could be a lesson for future trips to the worlds? Ja ja ek weet julle kry gewoonlik guides in die area,etc but's a no-brainer to me that home water plays a major part in comps why else would the elite send their scouts to fish the waters of the comp beforehand????? Info is king!
    1 - Yes. It is nice to see "old"( Daniel, Ronald (Bieber), Craig R.) juniors coming through, as well as some new names who have been working hard. The new crop of juniors also hold promise.
    2 - (blush). Thanks - but I am definitely no Martin Droz...
    3 - Dan does not guide at VK, but has fished it very regularly in the past. When it comes to rivers, once could consider it his home water. NOTE - none of us had ever fished the river in conditions where the water was as high as this past weekend. The stillwaters were new (Schoonspruit), reasonably new (Little Troutbeck/Loch Logan) and familiar (Forelwater) - but many of the other provinces fished these before and reasonably frequently. I had not seen Schoonspruit and Little Troutbeck/Loch Logan before the competition.

4 - We have a great local guide for Czech Rep.
    Last edited by GGY; 18-03-14 at 01:39 PM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Ah ok thanx thought I heard via the grapevine that he guides there.. :smile:

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    4 - We have a great local guiode for Czech Rep.
    I have seen her, and you deserve far more congrats on that than on your placement!!! For that reason alone i am considering taking up competition fishing??? Phhrooooarr.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Daniel must be charming the pants off the fish.Just watch,they all hen fish......
    Nice to see the freestate feature...I was gonna take part but my work situation did not allow it..Pity,Freestate could have been top 2 then:tongue::biggrin:

She specialize in beaver fur patterns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post

Our guide in Czech is Katka Švagrová and she appears to be a very good flyfisher with exceptional experience on the local waters.
    Be nice guys - I did not want to go into detail about our guide here on the forum, for (now justified) fear that this thread would get seedy & sidetracked.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

we all know beaver fur patterns are the BEST

There are fantastic venues for the Gauteng guys in that area.
    The Schoonspruit dam, has a really great fully furnished cottage, with big lawns and boats, 10 meters from the water.
    Forelwater, has a house, about 30 meters from the water.
    Loch Logan has a lovely covered area with wooden benches etc for day visitors.
    All of these venues has fantastic fishing, with fish of up to 10 pounds.
    The dams are not just a stocking bashing venue, the fishing was very technical and rewarding. It is worth the trip for a weekend.
    Support the "local fishing venues", you have very special venues.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast