Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Largy....and i mean largy

Where was this fish caught, Orange? From the pic it looks to be quite clean vs the middle Vaal here in Parys...

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I hope this is allowed as i got this pic from a friend but we dont know who the guy in the pic is.But a photo like this just needs to be seen.This must be the biggest largy that has come out of our water in decades.Its hard to estimate size but just looking at the guys hands and the overhang on the tail,this is a true beastAttachment 22600
    Agostino posted this picture of Jeremy Grace from the Windknot fly fishing club who caught this 25.35 lbs Largemouth Yellowfish at Vanderkloof Dam this weekend, I believe that it is a new SA record ?

On fly, yes.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

If it is accredited by whomever accredits these things.

THere are HUGE LM in Vanderkloof.
    I have seen other photos as well, of LM this size and bigger, caught by bait fishermen.
    For those trophy hunters, Vanderkloof Dam is definitely the place to go.
    With all the little bays, islands, drop-offs, and clean water, it is LM heaven.
    Chris van der Post, and I have had discussions, to have a trophy weekend at VDK dam.
    Definitely a destination for the serious fly fisher, who might have only one fish for the weekend, but then it will be a huge fish
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

O you will get waaaaaaay more than 1.Its just such a large water though and so many possible lies i think 3 days would be minimum to really get to know the dam and get big fish.
    I would love to know where this fish was caught.close to town or far into the dam

Having been there, I know that spot.

That dam isn't easy, our first trip, we blanked. Seems like in recent years the fishing has picked up, dams often have a cycle, some years under some conditions they produce, other years and different conditions you hardly see a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Having been there, I know that spot.

That dam isn't easy, our first trip, we blanked. Seems like in recent years the fishing has picked up, dams often have a cycle, some years under some conditions they produce, other years and different conditions you hardly see a fish.
    Did the fishing pick up or did you understand the water a bit better? maybe a bit of both.
    When you look at the water, it is a daunting piece and to work out where to fish is not easy.

Definitely worth a dam that is worth more than a couple of trips to try it out and work it out
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Did the fishing pick up or did you understand the water a bit better?
    Knowing that you mostly fished the Vaal in it's heyday and seeing as Sterkfontein is really a gift to Yellowfish anglers wishing to learn, I don't blame you for that comment.

When you have spent a few more years hunting Yellowfish in stillwaters, let's compare notes.

When you have clear water and the fish are simply nowhere to be seen, then they are elsewhere, either deep down in schools due to temperature and other conditions, or because they have such abundant alternative food sources that they don't cruise around near the surface or even in the littoral zone then you can whistle My Sarie Marais through your butt and you will still not get near them with your fly, but yes, I agree with you, it's a daunting piece of water.

For me, the beauty of every trip, is that I learn something new. (wheter it is trout or SM or the odd LM excursion)
    Hence my post, as you probably learn something new from every trip you take.
    My sum total of fishing for LM, is probably the same as one serious weekend for you.
    (the price for living in the Cape. )
    When ever someone posts on Flytalk, some sense or useful info, I am like a sponge. Absorbing all the info.
    Korrie Broos

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast