Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Largy....and i mean largy

spongebob.jpg

Spongebob

Your cutting edge humour have no limits on a Tuesday morning.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Spongebob. My office is underwater from a burst geyser this morning. Thought I will entertain you for a while.

I am sure that must be testing your sense of humour.
    Hopefully not too much damage, as it can be terrible,
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Great post and fish !
    Any clear water (clear as Sterkfontein ) is my preferred water.
    It seems this is such a water.
    Any idea what may be the best time in the season to fish LM there ? For SM it might be Summer, but for LM ?
    I will have to travel almost 700 km from Joburg , so I have to make a plan...
    Thanks,
    Zoran

The water in the Van der Kloof is nowhere near as clear as it is at Srerkies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Great post and fish !
    Any clear water (clear as Sterkfontein ) is my preferred water.
    It seems this is such a water.
    Any idea what may be the best time in the season to fish LM there ? For SM it might be Summer, but for LM ?
    I will have to travel almost 700 km from Joburg , so I have to make a plan...
    Thanks,
    Zoran
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Wrong.1234
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Wrong.1234
    Bertu, your comment is strange, from first hand reports in the last 2 - 5 months, the feedback is that the visibility is just a bit lower than Taung in good conditions, which would put it at around 2 - 3 meters. ????
    As you well know the vis at Sterkies in good conditions is 4 + meters.

Seeing as you have fished VanderKloof before, how about posting some pics of the clarity and the fish caught ?

I'm seriously considering organising a " Plebs " trip there, and would like some more first hand info.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

To be fair, my objection should have been qualified.

Although he is partly right,You can't just make a blanket statement like Andre did, it depends on the time of year, rainfall and incidence of floods in at least the previous year in addition to the area of the dam you're in as well as the depth if the water and the presence of bottom feeders (carp)

I've fished Taung where it was mud and seen Van Der Kloof with viz of +6M, Sterkfontein has one major thing going for it ito crystal clear water, large volumes of very deep water alongside a minute littoral zone with very little sediment, so even when you have seen heavy wave action for a few hours the stretches of muddy water settle relatively quickly, additionally most other dams have a tea/tannin tinge to them, which Sterkfontein has precious little of.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

VDK4.jpgVDK4.jpgVanderkloof has pretty good visibility most of the time,however,it is seriously deep,seriously fast and this does not help visibility much.
    When i was there and we were out on the boat the viz looks terrible.When you go towards the banks it gets very good and at one place we must have had 3m or so.The viz at some spots is gin clear but the depth and rock colour make it lose visibility close to the sides.
    Starnge thing was,we found a spot with around 1m viz,yet could not see a single fish,nowhere,yet they took our dries as if they were lying dead still on the bottom waiting.
    It fishes very different to most yellowfish venues and a change of thaught is definately needed.Some of the most productive looking water was dead and the deadest looking was pumping.
    This pic shows how the rocks affect the clarity.If you zoom in you will see the water on the edges is actually very clear and easily 2m+ viz

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast