Thread: CPS - Appeal to update Beats Demarcation

Default CPS - Appeal to update Beats Demarcation

Hi everyone,

Perhaps this is something I should address to the CPS directly, but thought I'd get everyone's input here first. Its something I've been thinking about for a while now, but first time I've thought to vocalise it publicly... Perhaps its just me that thinks this, so if it is, ya'll can tell me to shut up and I'll crawl back to my corner...

I would like to find out if its possible for us to somehow mark the beats along the Smallblaar and EP better ? As in where they start and where they finish? Because in all honesty, they are pretty poorly marked, if they are marked at all... this may not be a problem for you guys who have been fishing the streams for years and years, or who fish them really often, and know each beat like the back of your hand, but for many others, myself included, its a serious problem...

I had two instances this weekend which highlight this. Please note this is NOT a dig at the CPS... not in anyway shape or form, but rather a case of highlighting what I feel is a concern, and looking for possible remedies to this issues:

I fished Transport Beat for the first time last week... beautiful section of water, but no mention on CPS site of this beat and its start/finish at all? Thankfully an SMS was sent to a person in the know, and we could get sorted....

Secondly, and this is more important, I fished SB1 on Saturday... ON reaching the area where I have always believed was the end of SB1, where the Klip comes in, and where the parking area for SB2 is, myself and the missus were fishing that last little section up before planning to exit and make our way back, when someone called us from stream side and asked us" What beat are you on? You're on the wrong Beat, this is SB2"... Of course I felt horrified by this, even though I thought I was in the right, the gentleman who stopped us seemed very authoritative, and of course I took him at his word... truth be told I wish he'd stayed around to explain to us where we'd gone wrong but he jumped in his car and drove off before we could catch up to him to find out how wrong we were...
    I looked at the map I had on my phone, and was convinced I was right, but went back and forwards a few times trying to figure out what what, which pool is which etc, and figured we were in the wrong of course, for which I am hugely apologetic... I never want to be poaching another persons beat, but I gotta say, without clear marking on where a beat starts and finishes, its a pretty damn easy thing to do.... I must apologise to the gentleman who came to tell us off, if we were on your beat, but I do wish you'd stayed behind to at least explain to us, instead of just speeding off....

The problem for me is that the Map on the site has things like " Beat 1 runs from Boundary Pool to Picnic Pool".... Right, thats all fine and good, but how in Buddhas name am I supposed to know which pool is Picnic Pool, and which pool is Bubbas Pool and so on... ? The river also changes its look and feel completely depending on the levels, so what may look like a big long pool on a low water day, seems like just a large run on a high water day etc... Know what I mean?

Same goes for the marking of the entry areas off the N1 or off the path on the EP... unless you go with someone who already knows the beats, you are pretty much stumbling around in the dark trying to figure out where you should be fishing!

So my appeal is two fold:

1 - Make better roadside and path side markings/signs for the beats so that when one is driving along the ridiculously busy N1 you don't have to crawl along in the yellow lane at risk of getting steam rolled by a massive truck barreling along while you're trying to find some sign of where you should park for your beat...

2 - Somehow make markings on the Streams themselves on where a beat starts and stops... this could be something as simple as a painted marker on a large rock, or a pole put up stream side with a bright clear sign stating " START BEAT 2" or whatever so that when you are fishing your way upstream you are immediately aware that you are getting to the end of your beat....

Am I wrong in thinking this? Am I an idiot for not being able to read the CPS map clearly? Am I a heathen for not knowing the name of every single pool on every single beat? Is it a monetary thing that better signage hasn't already been implemented?

Please, I must express again that this is NOT a dig at the CPS.... Buddha knows the CPS has a pretty thankless and tiresome job of making sure we all have access to some world class waters, at a fraction of a cost of what it would cost us anywhere else in the world, and I for one am incredibly thankful for this... But I would love to be able to go out there and fish, knowing exactly where I should be fishing, and knowing that there is no chance that I will encroach on someone else's beat, they on mine... because it is a truly K@K feeling when you think you are fine and then you're informed that you are actually in the wrong place, you've fished through your beat and into someone else's....

Right, so that is my Monday morning ramblings.... Your thoughts and feedback would be appreciated... or if you need to tell me to shut up, thats fine too.... :-)
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Hi Neps

All of these problems will be solved very soon and you are definitely not alone when you find it hard to find some of the beat positions etc.

A whole new CPS website is about to be launched (probably within the month) and by the start of next season all the beats will be remarked and these markings dragged into this century by using GPS coordinates linked to detailed Google earth type images instead of the ancient pool names. We are also compiling a complete new beat boundary system to provide for easier access, more logical access or even introducing additional beats where we can squeeze them in. The entire Holsloot also need re-marking to provide for the wholesale change to the river.

All of this is being done at the moment.

As far as actual markings in the river and on the road is concerned, our hands are a bit tied. CapeNature specifies how big our in-stream markers may be and the National Roads Agency don't allow any markers on the road, except for the small spray painted markers on the highway.

These will be re-done as big and visible as we are allowed to do so that they match up to the GPS coordinates.

Of course there will be some teething problems but it will all be in place soon enough.

Cheers
    MC

Well said Mr. Nep.

I feel the same way and am prepared to help remark these beats.
    I think there is an arrangement with CN that the markings are to be as unobtrusive as possible. Right now they are invisible. The metal or enamel marker on EP3 must be one of the few remaining markers but is only clear when you fetch up in front of it.Again I think CN has the attitude that there must nothing in the park that detracts from the environment. This way we just have to "know " by going there often where beats begin and end . As you say frustrating and hit and miss.
    I once found a Man and son spinning in SB6 ( on my beat)who having bought tackle and fresh water licences in the Strand professed no knowledge of their transgression and missed the signs in the car park. The said they would love to join the CPS...........They were told by the shop "they could fish anywhere!" and so they did. The education and communication of this sport is not hitting the mark.
    I seldom ever get to the end of a beat proper like anyway. No one likes to infringe on anyone else's beat I would like to know exactly where they start. A picture on the CPS web page would be a start? Quick check, are there photos.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmk. No. The descriptions are good but a photo would be even better.
    I will take the printed version next time I am on the streams to avoid confusion.
    Charles Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi Neps

All of these problems will be solved very soon and you are definitely not alone when you find it hard to find some of the beat positions etc.

A whole new CPS website is about to be launched (probably within the month) and by the start of next season all the beats will be remarked and these markings dragged into this century by using GPS coordinates linked to detailed Google earth type images instead of the ancient pool names. We are also compiling a complete new beat boundary system to provide for easier access, more logical access or even introducing additional beats where we can squeeze them in. The entire Holsloot also need re-marking to provide for the wholesale change to the river.

All of this is being done at the moment.

As far as actual markings in the river and on the road is concerned, our hands are a bit tied. CapeNature specifies how big our in-stream markers may be and the National Roads Agency don't allow any markers on the road, except for the small spray painted markers on the highway.

These will be re-done as big and visible as we are allowed to do so that they match up to the GPS coordinates.

Of course there will be some teething problems but it will all be in place soon enough.

Cheers
    MC

Thanks MC, this is great to hear....

I hear your point on the limitations with CN and NRA in terms of Road markers.... I hadn't thought about that....

A suggestion would be perhaps to also add distance markers from the exit of the tunnel for example , that one could take off your odometer for each parking area perhaps... this could be done in addition to the GPS waypoints etc, as the reception is pretty poor down in the valley so using smartphones etc for GPS points might be tricky... but the fact that the maps will be linked with Google image is fantastic, sounds great.

Let us know if there is anything I can do to help in anyway, I'm keen to lend a hand if I can...

Cheers
    Nepps

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Could not agree more with Nepptune, well said; and well done to the CPS for being proactive!

Nepp unless i am also wrong, you were actually still on the correct beat on SB1.

From the CPS website:
    BEAT TWO The start of beat two has been moved to the confluence with the Klip river . This obviates the previous need to enter via the Klip River and walk upstream to the start of the beat.

(It used to start a few 100m up - where there is a green fish with a 2 on a Big rock on the right at the head of a nice pool)

So dont feel so bad dude - you were in the right - hope whoever it was comes on here and explains why he was being such a dick.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Nice constructive thread.
    Holsloot marking this past weekend.

Broken Sign.

Repairing Sign.

Graham Avery plotting GPS position.

https://www.facebook.com/CapePiscato...tyRiverRangers
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 07-04-14 at 11:10 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Thanks for all your hard work Garnett.... Are you responsible for the recent trimming and marking of the EP trail as well? If so, I tip my hat to you for those efforts as well, great to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Thanks for all your hard work Garnet....
    Team effort!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Are you responsible for the recent trimming and marking of the EP trail as well? If so, I tip my hat to you for those efforts as well, great to see!
    No, wasn't me.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.