Thread: Fun and informal bank angling competition at Eikendal!

Default Fun and informal bank angling competition at Eikendal!

Attention all Western Cape based Fly Anglers!

I will be hosting (and competing in ) a fun and informal Bank Angling Competition on Monday the 16th of June, at Eikendal Fishery. This will be a Fly only competition, held over 4 hours on a rotational basis. We will also have a few prizes for the 3 top placed anglers as well as the biggest fish of the day. The prizes will be in the form of a R250, R150 and R100 vouchers for the Winelands Fly Shop. We will be limiting the number of entrants to 12 so please book your place (through me) asap! Entry fees are R100 which covers your daily rod fee and is open to ALL anglers, young and old.

Schedule of events:
    08h00 - Competition briefing will be held at the Winelands Fly shop
    08h30 - Competition starts.
    The 4 sessions will be run over the following times:
    1)08h30-09h30 2)09h40-10h40 3)10h50-11h50 4)12h00-13h00.
    13h00 - Competition ends
    13h45 - Prize giving will be held at the shop.

Relaxed Fips Mouche rules to be applied, ie we will allow debarbed hooks.

For further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
    Maddy Rich
    076 790 3642
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Very cool initiative, hope it turns out to be a leka day.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

5 spots remaining!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Im going to pop along and say Hi. Wont be fishing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    5 spots remaining!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

YOH YOH YOH, what a jol that was!! It was awesome to see all the familiar faces again, catch up on the k@k praat and even get a a little fish in! Awesome way to spend a Monday!

The day started with a walk of the dams to set up the beats. We had advertised 12 available spots but due to the huge demand, we had to expand that number a bit. To try and avoid making the beats too small, we had to set up a few on the bottom dam as well. The competition would run over 4, hour long sessions with a 15minute breaks in between to allow the anglers to get to their next beat.
    IMG_1260.jpgIMG_1263.jpgIMG_1272.jpg The calm before the storm

At 8am the competitors were gathered to run through the competition briefing. By 8.30, the anglers were at their pegs and Ryan, the sector judge's voice echoed through the valley, starting the comp!
    IMG_1279.jpg Chris King rigging up.
    IMG_1302.jpg

The dam had been stocked less than a week before so the initial strategy was to get as may casts in with brightly colored lures, as quickly as possible to bank some early fish. A few early fish did come out of the top dam, but not as many as we expected? MC reported that he managed 2 fish to take the early lead... but not by stripping lures at warp speed, but buy fishing an aps booby on the bottom while enjoying a nice cup of coffee!

IMG_1318.jpg MC onto the 'big red'
    IMG_1304.jpg

During the second session a few anglers adapted and started to find a few more fish. Christiaan Pretorius managed 3 fish on this session with 3 lures static on a floating line, on the bottom dam. 2 more fish trickled out from the top dam on very slow consistent retrieves along the bottom. After chatting to Philip, I was informed that the barometer was dropping and that was probably the reason that the fishing had turned off. Chris and I fished it 2 days prior and cleaned up with around 7-8 fish in 20 odd minutes. Funny how things change
    IMG_1314.jpg Chris King into his first fish.

Session three saw slow numbers continue. Warwick Reid, Chris King and I managed a few fish. My two came on a Black booby leach, fished on the bottom on a Di5 with a slow rolly-polly as well as one more missed fish. I thought I had now cracked the code but alas, it was not to be!

Session 4 saw Christiaan rotate into my beat and immediately go tight. As he was landing his I went tight, again slow on the bottom with a bright tequila dubbing booby. Mine shot off to the other side of the dam though and with too much line between myself and the fish, the line went slack. Christiaan managed to land another 2 fish including one MILLISECONDS before the hooter! What a champion!

Final scores were as follows:
    1st: Christiaan Pretorius - 6 fish
    2st: Chris King - 3 fish
    3rd: Warwick Reid - 2 fish
    T-4th: MC Coetzer - 2 fish
    T-4th: Matt Rich - 2 fish
    6th: Luke Baker - 1 fish
    7th: Nick V Rensburg - 1 fish

IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg 3rd Place
    IMG_1360.jpg 2nd Place
    IMG_1362.jpg 1st Place
    IMG_1363.jpg Big Fish Winners

Prize giving was held at Winelands Fly Shop where first, second and third places were awarded with gift vouchers for the shop. The biggest fish prize was a tie and was won by Warwick Reid and Christiaan Pretorius - the fish being 45cm.
    A very special thanks to Philip who did the prize giving and who provided boerie rolls and coffee! It was very much appreciated.

The requirement of the winner was to tell everyone how he managed to do it. It was a very interesting trick, almost genius really... and if you come along to the next event, I'll tell you how he did it!
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 17-06-14 at 08:56 PM.

Attachment 23115 Support crew
    Attachment 23116Eikendal is a family venue
    Attachment 23117 Nick and Gordon chilling out in the evening rise.