Thread: Floatation devices

Default Floatation devices

Hi
    I see there is the odd talk of flotation devices on the Vaal and I was wondering what the options are. Is float tubing the way to go, or something like a croc? Also long drifts, down the Vaal,where are the good spots to start and finish up?
    Regards

I have been using the Walker Bay boat, imported by Yamaha, for about 7 years now. It is made of a thick plastic ( blow moulded) and can take the bumps and scratches from rocks in the rapids.

I think the goto boat is an ark fishduc, many other options out there, but thats the standard one.

Elgro does a drift where you hire a croc from them and then start out at schoemansdrift and end up at elgro, thats a nice one to do. You can of course do it with your own boat too and let them drop you off.

Elgro awesome drift as long as you have a trolling motor, otherwise it becomes a marathon of rowing rather than casting and looking for fish. Elgro should give an option of full drift and half drift. Still fish my 7year old Heron inflatable.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

O yes, Wag 'n Bietjie Eco farm also offers a decent but shorter drift than Elgro.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

I suppose it all depends on how you want to fish. I would recommend the fishduc as the best and most versatile in its class, with the best aftersales service if theres ever a problem. Definatly not a float tube unless you want to break your legs going down rapids. A canoe is easy to paddle, but unstable if you are casting. All the options have pros and cons, you just need to find what works for you. Having spent hundreds of hours on the Orange in a Ark Fishduck, I can say that its easy to transport, easy to inflate and deflate, robust and reliable, and does the job well. Definatly the best out there by far, for anything that you might ever want to try.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.