Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Lip Grips

Die manne van Hier gaan ons alweer was weer lekker besig met hulle toys gisteraand.

Have you watched the latest Geobass where they visit Botswana? The amount of lip grips through their lower jaws of tigers spoilt the entire video...
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

The article on mahseer in the latest TCCF clearly showed Boga damage - fish held with Boga hanging or underneath fish - can't happen unless Boga jaw has punctured the mouth membrane. I see these pics and wonder just how thoughtless these folk actually are, especially as we are told flyfishermen are supposed to be a cut above mere mortals or bait and gear types. Some might say 'oh we need to educate people' but anyone with a tiny bit of observation and reasoning can figure out that sharp metal and leverage are going to cause damage if used incorrectly. They managed to land and safely handle mahseer without lipgrips for decades - why pack a lipgrip for a trip to the Himalayas? It does my head in. Maybe part of the problem is more and more people spend no time actually using tools apart from steering wheels, remotes, screens and keypads and are actually disconnected from the physical reality of tool use?

I might dash off a letter to PJ - there should be an editorial position on this in any halfway decent fly mag. Actually you should never see a boga and a fish together out of the water - holding a toothy fish jaw steady for hook extraction in the water is about the only acceptable use of lip grips if you care about fish welfare.

It seems to me idiots all over the world care more about getting a dramatic pic of their stupid face with their fish so they can vleisbook and tweet and blog and otherwise indulge their narcissistic needs than actually practise proper fish care and release. As the old German saying goes - "Zum kotzen!"

I've botched many fish pics because I'm unwilling to trade damage to fish for a better picture - anyone who actually cares about fish welfare will have done the same at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by allsorts View Post
    It seems to me idiots all over the world care more about getting a dramatic pic of their stupid face with their fish so they can vleisbook and tweet and blog and otherwise indulge their narcissistic needs than actually practise proper fish care and release
    Very nicely said allsorts, I agree with you 100% on that.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7