Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lip Grips

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I agree - it has to damage them. I could point you to numerous photos on this site with me doing it, and probably defending it afterwards, but to be fair i cant see any reason why one should have to hold the fish upright like that with a lip grip, even if you use one to secure the fish and keep away from the teeth, you can still hold it in a way that it's internals are supported.
    Yep, I use it to grip fish with teeth, while they remain suspended in the water, then remove the hook with pliers, then grab at tail and behind pectorals for picture.

I never liked lip grippers till I got bitten on the thumb by a 6Kg Kob years ago and any Tiger over 3Kgs has seriously gnarly teeth, it's better for them and better for me.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

So, after all the the above. Been thinking about this today and in my opinion:

Fish Species

- Some fish are hardier and can handle a lip grip better then others - barbel and bass come to mind.
    - Trout and related species are quite finicky and die easily. However it might do less damage to a steelhead if a person can control the head, while supporting the fish's body weight.
    - Bigger fish in all species - the head can "seperate" from the spine/internal organs while being held vertically, there is too much body weight.
    - Being able to control a "dangerous" fish's head can do less damage to the fish.

Where to grip the fish

- Just behind the bottom jaw bone, taking care not to damage the tongue area.
    - Support the fish's weight, when lifting out of the water.
    - A weighing mat or landing net should be used wherever possible.

A lip grip, although frowned upon, can in some cases do less damage when used correctly, my opinion.

A Bronze Whaler or big skate can't be pulled onto the beach without dragging the fish by the tail or gaffing it. Pulling a fish on a line/hook obviously isn't good for the fish, this argument isn't negotiable in my opinion, cause we love fly fishing We need to find the better way to use these tools when it is needed. Not when landing a 1kg friendly, without teeth, in your local dam, grass carp.

By the way Scythe, one of those dikgatte is my brother in law, maargat :wink:

Did you actually read the article in the link posted right in the beginning? Go read it again. No matter how you use it, it causes damage.
    By the way, ask your brother in law to educate the other dikgatte.

Default Lip Grips

Fish, I don't always blame die dikgatte their tour operator should know better and advise them accordingly.

There are other pictures on their Facebook where you can clearly see the Bogagrip has been torn through the bottom of the mouth (ie : the bottom part of the clamp which is supposed to be visible outside the mouth, is visible inside the mouth) and also where the Boga is used to pull the mouth of the fish open, to the point where it can break the delicate bones.

I'll post one or two of those tomorrow.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Did you actually read the article in the link posted right in the beginning? Go read it again. No matter how you use it, it causes damage.
    Mario,

Go have a look, I posted the link before you did....

Agree, it causes damage, read my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Fish, I don't always blame die dikgatte their tour operator should know better and advise them accordingly.

There are other pictures on their Facebook where you can clearly see the Bogagrip has been torn through the bottom of the mouth (ie : the bottom part of the clamp which is supposed to be visible outside the mouth, is visible inside the mouth) and also where the Boga is used to pull the mouth of the fish open, to the point where it can break the delicate bones.

I'll post one or two of those tomorrow.
    Agree Bertu,

What I am saying, all newbies need to be educated. They don't know any better, going on a trip, the salesman said they need this and that, they bought it, felt chuffed landing a fish, took a pic with the boga, didn't know any better. Looking down on newcomers to fishing when they don't know better, would just pee them off. If I was new to the past time and have been shot down like this I would think, rather help me than shot me down.

The tour operator also probably didn't know better. Rather help these people I believe...

This is what happens when you are obsessed with bigger, better and stronger fish :-(
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I do agree to an extent, but that still doesn't give an overpowering reason to not use them in some circumstances. Its like fly fishing generally, no matter how you look at it, a hook on a fish's mouth is going to cause it some discomfort anyway, but that doesn't stop us from still flyfishing. My feeling is that in cases, such as tigerfishing, as one example, there really is no other way, so being aware of the damage it can cause, awareness is the key, and that's how we are supposed to generally do our firshing, ethically and responsibly, and all of our equipment should be used in this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

enjoyed that....and the music by S & G
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast