Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: General purpose yellowfish rod on the Vaal.

Quote Originally Posted by Saloon 2000 View Post
    I doubt whether rods are designed with the Vaal river in mind.
    Is it not possible that the Vaal is a rather small river compared to the rivers in the USA?
    Is it also not possible that what we consider a good fish of 4kg's is an average size in the bigger rivers in the States?
    Maybe we use 6wt rods when the designers of the rods would have gone for a 4wt. What it was designed to do.
    Rods such as the Stealth Magnum/Infinity in 5 & 6wt were designed/specified with fishing the Vaal river system for smallmouth yellowfish in mind - it is a big market for the "local" brands.
    Having fished around the world, I can tell you that the Vaal river is a "big" river in angling terms. Yes - there are obviously bigger/wider/more volume rivers, but no one is going to call the Vaal a "small" river.
    If we exclude exotic destinations where you are fishing for really big fish (and not likely to use a 5/6wt), average trout size in rivers around the world varies, but for many systems, 12" (30cm) is average. Some would have bigger averages pushing 16" (40cm). An exceptional/noteworthy trout in most rivers around the world is 20"+ (50cm).
    A 50cm yellowfish is nothing exceptional AND they are a lot stronger than most river trout. Anglers in SA do not realize how good the strength/size/qty of fishing for smallmouth yellows on reasonably fine (3-5X) tippets with small (#10-18) flies on the Vaal actually is.

Trust me when I say that no rod designer/serious angler would look at the Vaal and it's fish, then decide that a 4wt is a better choice to fish it than a 6wt (with 5wt being the low end). Having fished with a number of top international anglers who have come to SA on the Vaal, they would generally prefer a 6wt.
    Last edited by GGY; 13-08-14 at 09:01 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    I'm all for a 10' 5-weight on the vaal.
    A 9' rod is fine too if you don't like the extra length.

To me the number of fish over 4kg (which is all i can think of that would justify a #6 rod) that you catch in any given season will be such a small percentage that its not worth having heavier tackle simply for them. A #6 of #7 will detract from the enjoyment you get from the majority of yellows you catch and also leave you fishing heavier tippet as the rod will not protect lighter material. This then means your flies will be less likely to reach the bottom which means less fish. Or you have to fish heavier flies to get them down, which means less natural movement = less fish.

Something else to consider if you will spend 70% of the time nymphing for smallies is the weight of the rod & real combo which can make a difference towards the end of the day.

To end off, I will paraphrase Lefty Kreh who reckons you should always fish with the lightest fly line appropriate for the job.
    I agree with you in most part Circus, but I think having fished a 6wt for so many years, I do like my 6wt rods. It should handle all smallmouths quite easily, still have a decent fight with a 3-4kg fish, and you would be able to release a fish that is not over-exhausted. And when that one fish in a season, like a 5kg smallie or largie takes your fly, you would be glad for the extra backbone, but once again, personal opinion has a lot to do with it. Out of curiousity, what do you fish the Vaal Circus?
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Ok. let me rephrase the question:

If you were given the challenge to fish the mid-vaal for one day with one rod, and it had to be a 6wt rod, and you knew that a 3kg smallie was almost certain and the chance for a 5kg largie was also good, and you were told that you had to fish nymphs, dries and streamers(you had to do all of them in a day) in rapids, glides and pools, what would you take?
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    Hi BenzoV.

Honestly I have never casted or fished a 10ft, and as far as I know the rods I have mentioned, except maybe the Sage, are all 9ft models (the Greys Streamflex also has one, but it is not being imported). Sure if the action is pleasing I would go over to a 10footer.
    A 10ft on the Vaal is really a revelation. Especially for the type of fishing you plan on doing.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Ok. let me rephrase the question:

If you were given the challenge to fish the mid-vaal for one day with one rod, and it had to be a 6wt rod, and you knew that a 3kg smallie was almost certain and the chance for a 5kg largie was also good, and you were told that you had to fish nymphs, dries and streamers(you had to do all of them in a day) in rapids, glides and pools, what would you take?
    My 10ft #5 BVK. It handles fish over 5kg, and is light enough to fish all day.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Out of curiousity, what do you fish the Vaal Circus?
    I know I'm opening myself up to massive abuse here, but I fish a 10' #3 Sage ESN most of the time. If I am specifically going for bigger fish (certain venues, plus barbel up to 1.2m), I will use a 9' #5 Sage Z-Axis.

Note that my thought process is very different to most anglers on the vaal in that i fish very light and am happy to chase fish downstream to slow water to land them. I have a short attention span, so mostly my priority is numbers rather than size. Fishing anywhere upstream of Orkney, only 1 in 25 fish is over 3kg anyway. I wet wade and mostly carry no more gear than a small box of flies and some tippet in my pocket - mobility means quicker releases.

For those who say small rod = long fight = hurt fish, I believe that barbed hooks, nets and photos cause far more damage. Most of my fish never have more than their mouth leave the water, and i have never released a yellowfish that didn't swim away strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    My 10ft #5 BVK. It handles fish over 5kg, and is light enough to fish all day.
    Hi Grant. So I presume there is a 6wt 10ft BVK to then? It would be able to cast #8-6 gotos and muishonde and also #18 DDD's, klinkhammers etc?
    So it's the 10ft Stealth Infinity and BVK so far....
    Dirk Human

I know I'm opening myself up to massive abuse here, but I fish a 10' #3 Sage ESN most of the time. If I am specifically going for bigger fish (certain venues, plus barbel up to 1.2m), I will use a 9' #5 Sage Z-Axis.

Note that my thought process is very different to most anglers on the vaal in that i fish very light and am happy to chase fish downstream to slow water to land them. I have a short attention span, so mostly my priority is numbers rather than size. Fishing anywhere upstream of Orkney, only 1 in 25 fish is over 3kg anyway. I wet wade and mostly carry no more gear than a small box of flies and some tippet in my pocket - mobility means quicker releases.

For those who say small rod = long fight = hurt fish, I believe that barbed hooks, nets and photos cause far more damage. Most of my fish never have more than their mouth leave the water, and i have never released a yellowfish that didn't swim away strongly.
    Hi Circus, I fish below Orkney again. Thing is the lactic acid build up that worries me when you fight a fish to long. But it's personal choice and you have gone supper light, but I think your sage 3wt would do the same job as a standard 4wt rod. Sure, wrong handeling and prelonged time out of water could be just as dangerous....as is fingers stucking into the gill plates on many photos.
    Dirk Human

I think the Sage Z-Axis is far over my R4000-4500 budget.
    Dirk Human

I think the Sage Z-Axis is far over my R4000-4500 budget.
    And also no longer for sale.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast