View Poll Results: If forum users are disruptive, should we..

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ban user permanently.

4 8.51%
  • Ban user for a period.

20 42.55%
  • Don't ban, create a forum for "*****ing"

5 10.64%
  • Just moderate the posts.

18 38.30%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning Users Poll

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    That's why I voted for moderation, and mentioned moderation in my reply yes. Banning users (permanently or for just a while) is (imho) a quick way of killing the forum.
    I hear what you saying Mario, but I think when we talk about banning members they would need to be stepping over the line. I would imagine before you ban the member you would give them a warning first. If they do anything further they would be banned for a period, if they continue then banned permanently.

At the end of the day if you are offending members and being slanderous there is no real place for you on a forum.

It is tricky though, you do risk killing the forum all together!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Hi Guys,

Good discussion, thank you, pass your votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I hear what you saying Mario, but I think when we talk about banning members they would need to be stepping over the line. I would imagine before you ban the member you would give them a warning first. If they do anything further they would be banned for a period, if they continue then banned permanently.

At the end of the day if you are offending members and being slanderous there is no real place for you on a forum.

It is tricky though, you do risk killing the forum all together!
    I can't argue any of your points, they are totally valid. Problem is that it all becomes very subjective. When do you warn, how many warnings etc etc etc.

I actually foresee *more* admin in going this route than simply moderating and getting it done with.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

To you Administrator types:

Another forum where I am active has a "jou ma and other topics" sub-section which is not visible to the general public or newbies to the forum. (This section has further sub-sections such as Religion and Politics). This is to protect the Owners from offence taken by contentious posting.

Maybe FT should have a similar scheme. You get rights to certain threads as you progress as a forum contributor.

Abuse or PUI could result in reduced rights.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    To you Administrator types:

Another forum where I am active has a "jou ma and other topics" sub-section which is not visible to the general public or newbies to the forum. (This section has further sub-sections such as Religion and Politics). This is to protect the Owners from offence taken by contentious posting.

Maybe FT should have a similar scheme. You get rights to certain threads as you progress as a forum contributor.

Abuse or PUI could result in reduced rights.
    Good idea - users with more than 3000 posts can apply
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I can't argue any of your points, they are totally valid. Problem is that it all becomes very subjective. When do you warn, how many warnings etc etc etc.

I actually foresee *more* admin in going this route than simply moderating and getting it done with.
    Ya I hear you, the only question I would then have is what stops members from crossing the line? They can in essence say whatever they want knowing the worst case is their post will be deleted.

To be honest it is very seldom these sorts of things happen, so I don't think it would be very hard to manage!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Good idea - users with more than 3000 posts can apply
    hey!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    To be honest it is very seldom these sorts of things happen, so I don't think it would be very hard to manage!
    Except in the last 2 weeks
    Mario Geldenhuys

Except in the last 2 weeks
    Hahahaha agreed

Chris... booze is one of the biggest problems in life, not just on a forum. The power of substance abuse, can very seldom be understood by anyone who has not been personally touched by its consequences. I am one of the very fortunate ones that was able to identify my disease a long time ago, seek help and enjoy a far richer and fulfilled life without it. Save for a few minor relapses over the past few years, I have remained clean for a considerable time. Unfortunatly, my disease was a major contributor to the failure of my marriage, and to my losing almost everything I own in the process. Fortunately for me, I was able to identify it , and somehow found the courage to turn it around.
    Please, i'm not pointing any fingers at anyone on the forum.... this is about me, and no one else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Booze is one of the biggest problems on any forum. When someone gets out of hand in a pub, he either gets ushered or punched out. Either way he is ultimately silenced. Forums however a far wider reaching audience than the few within hearing-shot of the guy making an @ss of himself in a pub. The damage is being done at the time and should likewise be handled at the time. Unfortunately for some, 'brandewyn het nie brieke nie'!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast