Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Doring river / clanwilliam

Default Doring river / clanwilliam

Hi all , am thinking about going to fish either the doring river or clan this coming weekend .

Am not sure what the deal with camping/ accommodation is at either of them . Or how to go about fishing them

Any tips / info I may find useful ?

The Doring river, you can camp at Die Mond, in the Tankwa Karoo side,
    Lovely spot, basic, but clean and neat, good small mouth fishing and if you are lucky, you will get some Clanwillian yellows, right time of the year to go.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie

Is'nt Die Mond on the Groot?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Korrie

Is'nt Die Mond on the Groot?
    The Matjies and the Groot flows into the Doring, or it becomes Doring river, just above the camp site. or that is how I got the names, I might be wrong.

With some of the little rivers in the Sederberg areas that I have visited, the locals, call it one name, the "town people" another and the maps another.
    Last edited by Korrie; 29-09-14 at 03:14 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Hi korrie , thanks for the info , if you don't mind sharing some tips for the smallies of fly there ? As I haven't targeted them much especially on a river .

Here is a link to an article I wrote a couple years ago...... http://www.outdoorpages.co.za/Fishin...les.asp?ID=172

No matter who calls it what, Die Mond is definitely on The Groot River. Go straight through Ceres and continue on for 140 kilos. Look out for a big tractor tire on the left - this is the entrance to Die Mond. Wear good walking shoes and don't fish too close to the main resort area.

Cheers
    MC

Really good info in MC's article.
    for Smallies good info written by Conrad Botes
    http://feathersandfluoro.com/category/conrad/
    Should you need more info, let me know,
    Korrie Broos

one other point, once you reach the tractor tire, turn left and go thru 5 gates.
    you drive until you get to the river, It might feel like you will not get there, but the road leads you to the river.
    And make sure you have a tire repair kit, as the road can be harsh to some people.
    you might not get any flat wheels or you could have 2 on your way in.
    Korrie Broos

A really nice gesture is when you book or just before you leave, to drive there, phone them and ask them if they need any thing from town.
    Can you image you are feeling like a Coke or Oros, and you realize that you have run out and the shop is 140km away.
    On my visits they have requested a case of Coke or Oros, Fresh tomotoes or bananas, nothing much, and they always reimburse you for the cost of the goods.
    Korrie Broos

Thanks a lot for all the info guys will take it all to heart ! How will the fishing for smallies be around mid November when it warms up even more ? I'm struggling to find a weekend to head out there now

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast