Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Largemouth tackle

Default Largemouth tackle

Manne

They say you have matured as a yellowfish fisherman the day you lay down your 5wt and nymphs and only take your largie rod down to the river.

I'm not quite sure I am there yet... But I am ready to at least buy a dedicated largie outfit!

Wat moet ek koop? What is the best in your opinion? Weight, action, brands, rod, reel, line, floating, intermediate etc etc. Skiet met die antwoorde en kommentaar.

I've caught a few largies in my life, but almost all of them while nymphing. Only a handful while chucking buggers.

I caught this lovely lady on my 5wt TFO lefty kreh with Stealth reel. I've also almost landed a 20kg plus barbel on this setup, so I wonder, is it really necessary to fish a 7wt for largies?

Dankie

Attached Images Attached Images

What is the thoughts on a TFO BVK 7wt with a TFO BVK3 7-9 reel for largies?

I am really in love with the TFO BVK rods. But I must say, if you have a decent 5wt outfit I can't see why it wouldn't be able to land a propper largie. But then again I've never caught a monster LM. Thats LM is a beaut Jacques!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Epic Fast Glass in #6 weight is the Largie match .
    +15 kg fish is not a problem , since only fool with hammer can destroy Epic glass .
    Casting is effortless , small or big flies doesn't matter .
    Presentation , as a result of self-catapulting loops , is just a pleasure, one must feel it to believe it .
    Fighting fish - Epic glass always win , tippet saving machine is this.
    #7 carbon ,is just a heavy broomstick here , if you ask me. :smile:
    Last edited by Zoran; 28-09-14 at 10:25 PM.

Default Largemouth tackle

The selection of a 6WT or 7WT for LM has more to do with the size/weight of the fly you intend to present. 5WT's run out of steam on longer casts with a fly that has dumbbells on it. As a second thought also remember that pulling on a 5KG+ fish on a 5WT rod does mean the fight is longer and it puts an unnecessary stress on the fish.

So for my money :

6WT or 7WT BVK.

A very light SLA reel to match, the BVK's are very light.

No more than 50m of backing, it's simply not needed, no sense in wasting space on the reel, you can rather go a reel size smaller.

Floating, Intermediate and possibly a DI3 depending on where you fish and the flow rate, getting something with a braided core like the 6th Sense lines with their PowerCore technology or the Rio lines with their ConnectCore technology.

A braided core when fishing streamers is a must.
    Last edited by Scythe; 28-09-14 at 11:34 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    Manne

They say you have matured as a yellowfish fisherman the day you lay down your 5wt and nymphs and only take your largie rod down to the river.
    Who are "they"? And they talk k@k by the way.
    You have matured as a yellowfish fisherman when you target yellows but see the Vaal as last resort.
    I would much much prefer targeting smaller yellows deep in the heart of the bushveld, magnificent clanwilliams in picturesque cape mountains, smallmouths in clear Lesotho streams and largescales in beautiful lowveld gorges.

You have matured as a yellowfish fisherman when size is irrelevant and solitude guaranteed.
    Last edited by Saloon 2000; 29-09-14 at 08:36 AM.
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

You have matured as a yellowfish fisherman when size is irrelevant and solitude guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

Well said Saloon - love it!
    I would add that every yellow caught in such circumstances is perceived as bliss, all about the experience
    No one does it smaller then me!

Sounds more like a convenient excuse for not cracking the code.....much like bad viz, low baro, high wind,etc :wink:

Nothing messes up a false cast quite as much as a bad attitude.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Epic Fast Glass in #6 weight is the Largie match .
    +15 kg fish is not a problem , since only fool with hammer can destroy Epic glass .
    Casting is effortless , small or big flies doesn't matter .
    Presentation , as a result of self-catapulting loops , is just a pleasure, one must feel it to believe it .
    Fighting fish - Epic glass always win , tippet saving machine is this.
    #7 carbon ,is just a heavy broomstick here , if you ask me. :smile:
    BVK might be a broomstick to you, but heavy is one thing it isn't.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast