Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Modified NZ sliding rig up for testing and opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Both my flies are equally important to me. That is the reason I have 2 flies, to have double the change of a fish taking it, covering double the water, either width or depth of the river etc.
    If you are only using your control fly to only get down and maybe the odd fish, you might as well fish with a little ball sinker, to get your point fly down.
    I see your point.
    Would it be possible to see a drawing of your setup Korrie? it would be interesting to see the rigs being used on the river at the moment, everyone has seemed to adapt a unique version of a standard rig.
    Last edited by Johann; 02-10-14 at 09:11 AM.
    Trout is for people that don't know how to catch yellows.
    www.fishingforyellows.co.za, store.fishingforyellows.co.za

See sketch. My opinion, or what works for me, The whole time I know what the flies are doing, when I am fishing. Allways in touch, allways in control, as there will be constant, or almost constant tension on the setup
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I see your point.
    Would it be possible to see a drawing of your setup Korrie? it would be interesting to see the rigs being used on the river at the moment, everyone has seemed to adapt a unique version of a standard rig.
    it is very important on the type of water and depth and whether you will be fishing direct upstream or diagonal upstream, swing across and down on where you have the heaviest nymph etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

See sketch. My opinion, or what works for me, The whole time I know what the flies are doing, when I am fishing. Allways in touch, allways in control, as there will be constant, or almost constant tension on the setup

Thanx for posting drawing Korrie,
    Will give it a try, If you fish with an indicator do you adhere to the standard 1 1/2 times the water depth or double depth ?
    Trout is for people that don't know how to catch yellows.
    www.fishingforyellows.co.za, store.fishingforyellows.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Thanx for posting drawing Korrie,
    Will give it a try, If you fish with an indicator do you adhere to the standard 1 1/2 times the water depth or double depth ?
    Indicator between 80cm and 100cm above top dropper.
    If you nymph in deep water, you flies will be vertical, so your indicator will be in water that is 1,5m deep plus the lenght of indicator.
    So total that you can fish in with still seeing some part of indicator will be about 1,8m.
    You can fish with the line diagonal, with Pythagoras, you can work how deep the water can be and how far you fish away. I have posted in the past a drawing or 2 about it. My indicator is almost always visible, either just below surface, or on the surface or above the surface.
    Depending on the depth of the water, the flow, and where I fish, But there is always a "positive" tension on the leader/indicator setup. (when drifting towards me, I will lead the flies every so slightly, when going past me, it is the drift of the water and the swing)
    Korrie Broos

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have done something similar with good effect. Instead of having the control fly . "free running " up the main line. I use a dropper, attached to the main line, with a moveable knot.
    Works well, and that way , I have the advantages of the dropper system, as well as being able to regulate the depth of the control.
    Jip,this is a very nice system.Andf you can replace just the dropper section when it get too short without having to redo the whole tippet section

Korrie, what knot do you use to tie the dropper to the mainline? its not visible in your sketch

Hi Korrie. Dont you find your dropper snagging on the tippet with such a long (20cm) setup?

Quote Originally Posted by FLASHGUN View Post
    Korrie, what knot do you use to tie the dropper to the mainline? its not visible in your sketch
    I used to do a blood knot but now, I do a different knot, if I have a bit of time, will do a sketch
    Korrie Broos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast