Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Registered Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I don't think it really has to be too complicated.
    It's not complicated at all - but it is sometimes quiet an issue, especially in provinces where the tourism authorities are not on the ball as much.

For a while FOSAF tied to get a guiding association going and get a proper fly fishing guiding course/qualification going. But there is not that many people who are going to go that route, and I guess numbers to count in the end.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Absolutely correct. Probably the reason why REFFISS closed down in SA, just not enough critical mass. Basically, the qualification has to be gained through another Nature guiding , or adventure guiding association.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    It's not complicated at all - but it is sometimes quiet an issue, especially in provinces where the tourism authorities are not on the ball as much.

For a while FOSAF tied to get a guiding association going and get a proper fly fishing guiding course/qualification going. But there is not that many people who are going to go that route, and I guess numbers to count in the end.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Absolutely correct. Probably the reason why REFFISS closed down in SA, just not enough critical mass. Basically, the qualification has to be gained through another Nature guiding , or adventure guiding association.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post

Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

some of the guides sites mentioned here, still make reference to reffiss, maybe need to be updated or (as i would feel) proud to have been part of reffiss even if reffiss has closed down.
    besides what i have learnt about legalities here and remaining as an casual fisherman, i found their sites to be very professional and well layed-out except for w.moller, here i found no mention of any org and pics looked like they weren't dressed for the occasion with fish hanging from tippet lines. now that i know something about legalities and what it entails (conduct, conservation and other important topics), it wouldn't be difficult to choose a company but still feel the need to bring up the matter of insurance with them.

You must remember that RRFFISS is an international qualification, and still going strong in other parts of the World. Some SA guides did the course in the UK. Although the SA outfit closed, the REFFISS guides would still be legitimate if they had kept their provincial registrations up to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    some of the guides sites mentioned here, still make to reffiss, maybe need to be updated or (as i would feel) proud to have been part of reffiss even if reffiss has closed down.
    besides what i have learnt about legalities here and remaining as an casual fisherman, i found their sites to be very professional and well layed-out except for w.moller, here i found no mention of any org and pics looked like they weren't dressed for the occasion with fish hanging from tippet lines. now that i know something about legalities and what it entails (conduct, conservation and other important topics), it wouldn't be difficult to choose a company but still feel the need to bring up the matter of insurance with them.

thank you Andre.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9