Thread: game tails for cousers

Default game tails for cousers

Hi everyone

Are some of you uys using the tails of local animals to tie flies?
    Im a hunter so I get loads of tails each year just never tried it.

And my wife also happened to be a hair dresser. so dying the tails will not be a problem.
    went to the salon this morning and saw funky colours..... green,blue, porple, red, amd even yellow
    should i try it?

Use them if you have them available, but if you're tying clousers for toothy critters, synthetics are better, a Tiger for example destroys a bucktail clouser on the first hit.

One fly per fish, or missed fish, makes for a lot of tying.

The other thing to look out for is the type of hair in the tail, if the hair shaft is hollow it will trap air and cause fly to not sink, think of how deerhair/elk for example is used to tie dry flies.

Also the younger the hair is at the time of harvesting the better it is, when the hairs become thick and coarse they tend to flare more which leads to a poopy looking Clouser.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I agree that some synthetics are better from a "robustness" point of view if you fishing for tigerfish, however, in my experience, its the natural materials that provide the flies with better movement, and a more natural appearance. Natural materials just work better for me. If you don't mind going through twice as many flies as you would do when fishing synthetics for tigers, then go with natural materials. For saltwater water, generally you wont go through as many flies as you would with tigerfish, so go for it...use your natural materials and have fun. To me, natural materials are always a first choice for all flies, but again, personal choice would govern.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I think one of the issues is that many of the local antelope tails are no use as a bucktail substitutes - impala for example - hair is straight and rock hard. At one time reedbuck (I think) tails were commercially available and they were pretty much perfect - slightly longer than BT, nice crinkle in the hair and soft / hollow but very controllable. I gave away a very good white reedbuck tail to a guide I fished with in Ireland - I regret that now as I haven't seen any more.

Mountain Reedbuck/ Bushbuck and Injala has awesome tails.

Use to get a lot of Mountain reedbuck tail from a guy in PE to use in my factory
    He stopped doing them.
    Kudu tails are useless as the fibers are to straight.
    Fish For The Future
    Please Catch And Release

thanks allot will get some synthetics. already have some but need more colours

Hi,
    I have used meerkat tails (road kill) before for some shrimp patterns. The springbok tails are very straight and a bit hard - perhaps I must try it for prawn feelers rather? I did give my batch of springbuck tails a kick into the corner last Sunday and I must say it seems to have worked - at least we beat England in the rugby this week!:biggrin:
    Regards
    Niel

This might completely destroy my possible rep of being a decent fisher woman! But we tied a fly from the tail hairs from my dog!! And it got nailed!! Haha we called it the Kodalywodaly, got the biggest trout of the weekend!.... PS seriously trying to figure out how to start my own post, a little help please? How do I introduce myself etc?

As said, Mountain Reedbuck (Rooi Ribbok) tails.

Vaal Rhebok (Vaal Ribbok) tails also work well, i.m.h.o. the closest to a whitetail deer with a bit of fluff & fur included. Good in Clousers.

(I have also used Klipspringer for dry flies, Black backed Jackal makes good tails on dry flies too. The household cats and dogs contribute all the time, the way a Labrador sheds hair and fur can sustain a commercial flytying business without the dog ever going bald.)
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Jones View Post
    This might completely destroy my possible rep of being a decent fisher woman! But we tied a fly from the tail hairs from my dog!! And it got nailed!! Haha we called it the Kodalywodaly, got the biggest trout of the weekend!...
    Far from it in fact, I'm pretty sure you just scored some Brown(trout)ie points.

I have tied with hair from one ex's blue Persian cat, another ex had a pedigree Yorkie that often had his expensive grooming adjusted by me, and well there was that one time I tied with a bit I trimmed off one ex herself, luckily that one ended before I was left alone with her Border Collie or mini Bunny, I still think that rabbit would have made the best Zonker strips I have ever seen...
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.