Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2015 Tackle wish list

Well just to be clear, it's the Torrent, not the Terrapin, but while aesthetics are subjective, once you've had it in your hands, you will also think it's a beaut ... Let me know if you're keen for a look see, we can meet at Mias or somewhere they serve beer...

Mario, dimensions wise, I think one should actually compare it to the SL7, but I've tested the drag on the Torrent 911 and the SL7 side by side and they just can't compare.

I'm actually a bit bummed I didn't know about these a few years ago before I got the SL7.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    http://www.coltonfly.com/terrapin-fly-reel.php
    Terrapin is newer, lighter (and maybe better?) - not that I fish salt, so just throwing it out there...
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

How old is the Shilton SL7 - maybe you compared a reel that was designed and built 10 years ago with one designed and built last year?

I like the Colton and it looks the business. From the specs it should be fantastic. We have to hand it to Shilton though - being mentioned in the same breath as brand spanking new designs they certainly did something right when they started building their reels 15 years ago. Let's just hope they never bring out neon green and blue bits and pieces to add to their reels.
    Last edited by redhumpy; 07-01-15 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    So my 2015 tackle list has one item less on it, thanks to some kindness from a most unexpected source.

I'm a happy pig!

All I can say is ... Shiltons and Wades just aren't even playing the same sport as this baby, let alone in the same league ...

Nice reel!

Thanks Bud!

That sounds like a plan!
    I was online this morning and picking a 9 and a 12 up will work out very favourable in terms of price!
    I like the look of the Torrent more than the Terrapin, but as Gary says, the Terrapin is newer and lighter and all that jaz.

What you doing on Saturday?
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    The wishlist would go something like this:

1. Simms G3 Waders
    2. Shilton CR3
    3. 9' 3-4# Dry fly rod for Greyling - Don't know what I want yet though...

Oh and Id like my new pair of Smith Touchstones to arrive!
    Well Santa (read Upstream Fly Fishing) was very kind and made me a happy boy this year:

20141209_214801.jpg

Now I just hope my Touchstones arrive before the Easter bunny does!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Well Santa (read Upstream Fly Fishing) was very kind and made me a happy boy this year:

20141209_214801.jpg

Now I just hope my Touchstones arrive before the Easter bunny does!
    And you got MARRIED!
    That 9 1/2-10ft XF2+ of Tim's is NICE as a dry fly/general rod...
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Hi Adrian,

Well it's rated for 225M 30lb Dacron, this baby however is filled with 50lb Braid, so ... loads
    Did you put it on properly? When we apply braid as backing for R&S you have to put it on seriously tight in order to prevent it from slipping under itself. If it's too loose, goodbye running fish.

As far as tackle preparation goes, i cannot think of anything worse than the time taken to apply braid to a reel, painstakingly reeling it on under huge pressure.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234