Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Casein

Default Casein

Hi guys

Does anyone know where I can find Casein (ivory substitute) and +- what the costs of this stuff is??

Thanks
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Casein as in Milk protein, casein? What do you want to use it for?
    Last edited by shector; 08-12-14 at 06:16 PM.

The plastic - it is used as an ivory replacement. Need to use it in 2 projects. Client wanted ivory, but Casein would have to do - export laws etc etc etc.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Google Ivory Substitute. There is a mine of info Plastic Ivory. Have fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Google Ivory Substitute. There is a mine of info Plastic Ivory. Have fun.
    Thanks Jax - not a lot on suppliers and pricing in SA though :-(
    Mario Geldenhuys

Mario, If you are interested in some "pre convention" ivory, I could help. The export laws don't apply to it, and I would be able to provide certification. It would then come down to a matter of personal ethics I suppose, but perfectly legal. Besides the amount you probably going to use, if its on a rod build (Im assuming) is going to be so little, as to not be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The plastic - it is used as an ivory replacement. Need to use it in 2 projects. Client wanted ivory, but Casein would have to do - export laws etc etc etc.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Mario, If you are interested in some "pre convention" ivory, I could help. The export laws don't apply to it, and I would be able to provide certification. It would then come down to a matter of personal ethics I suppose, but perfectly legal. Besides the amount you probably going to use, if its on a rod build (Im assuming) is going to be so little, as to not be an issue.
    Thanks for the offer André, greatly appreciated man. Bit worried about using real ivory since I've never used it and don't want to screw it up, hence going for the man-made (and assuming cheaper) product. I'll be using a fair amount as it will be for a reel seat as well as a sizable chuck that will form part of a net handle. I've made contact with Sharon Burger (who will be doing some scrimshaw work on both the items - http://www.sharonburger-scrimshaw.co.za/aquatic.html) and she put me in contact with guys that supply Casein, so luckily I have been sorted with that just now.

Again, thanks for the offer.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Awesome... I hope you will post pictures of the end result. Sounds like a good project.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Awesome... I hope you will post pictures of the end result. Sounds like a good project.
    Thanks, very excited, will try and post a few. Have not really done any posting of any work this year. Seen one seen 'em all neh :-D
    Mario Geldenhuys

Hey kwagga, wat van vlakvark:biggrin:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast