Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deal on Euro Nymph Outfit

Yes, Im aware of that. My concerns are not about the knots, which actually are a complete non issue, you don't even know they are there, unless they are really terrible knots.. My concerns are more around other factors, but I will reserve judgement until I am able to test one of these lines out for myself.
    To give you an example, ...several years ago, a Czech nymphing leader was brought onto the market, and it received rave reviews in some overseas magazines and forums, I imported a few, tried them out, and found it completely unsuitable for our conditions.
    The same with this ESN line, it might work well in European rivers, but someone needs to test it here. Im going to try and get one and give it a go.
    You mention..."with all the benefits of a floating line". would you explain that for me please.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-12-14 at 09:02 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    You mention..."with all the benefits of a floating line". would you explain that for me please.
    Yes, the advantages that PVC coated fly line brings over normal mono/nylon. Apparently (from the couple of local competition anglers - Top5 SA and some of the guys who have done the CW this year - guys who I hold in high regard and have actually used the line) the line casts a lot better and generally "feels" better than mono.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Still doesn't say what the benefits of a floating line are when ESN'ing.... anyway, im going to try one for myself. Im getting mixed reports..also from Protea anglers. I hear its good with a heavy rod... like a 4 tp5 wt...but terrible down at 2 and 3 wt, which is where I prefer to go, so I want to test it out on lighter gear.
    Perhaps one of my main concerns is again... buying factory built " one size fits all" equipment. This line is a generic , taper, and cannot possible be suitable for all conditions. Ok, I'm a bit cynical about it, but until I try it out, I really shouldn't pass judgement.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Still doesn't say what the benefits of a floating line are when ESN'ing.... anyway, im going to try one for myself. Im getting mixed reports..also from Protea anglers. I hear its good with a heavy rod... like a 4 tp5 wt...but terrible down at 2 and 3 wt, which is where I prefer to go, so I want to test it out on lighter gear.
    Perhaps one of my main concerns is again... buying factory built " one size fits all" equipment. This line is a generic , taper, and cannot possible be suitable for all conditions. Ok, I'm a bit cynical about it, but until I try it out, I really shouldn't pass judgement.
    I also have not fished it, just passing on what some of my mates have said.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I hear you, but im more interested in your comment about there being an advantages to having a floating line when ESN'ing, this doesn't make sense, so I must be missing something. When ESN'ing, the last thing you want is a line that floats. Anyway, Im going to try it out, and see how it works.

For ESN, you don't use a fly line... the leader is the line.
    The new comp rules state that the leader can't exceed twice the rod length - 22' Know you don't fish comps anymore but these lines also offer some other advantages:

- The line has a taper that aids in casting shorter tapered leaders (like your 35' leader), allowing more accuracy
    - Less line sag, better take detection, keep your flies where you want them.
    - If you use for instance a DT3F line for your ESN and you cast 25', some of the heavier fly line will be in the rod guides, pulling the leader and flies.
    - When you Czech nymph, the lighter line increases sensitivity and again don't sag, pulling the flies.

This all sounds quite good. I didn't know about the new comp rules about leader length...not surprised though, considering the advantages that a long leader gives. Yes agree fully with the sensitivity of a lighter line. Im seriously keen to try this line. Maybe I should just come and get one. Do you sell them separately, or only with the combo outfit?

Yes we do, R 725.00, can also post it if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    The new comp rules state that the leader can't exceed twice the rod length - 22' Know you don't fish comps anymore but these lines also offer some other advantages:

- The line has a taper that aids in casting shorter tapered leaders (like your 35' leader), allowing more accuracy
    - Less line sag, better take detection, keep your flies where you want them.
    - If you use for instance a DT3F line for your ESN and you cast 25', some of the heavier fly line will be in the rod guides, pulling the leader and flies.
    - When you Czech nymph, the lighter line increases sensitivity and again don't sag, pulling the flies.
    I have one - mine was the first one in SA - bought direct from Steve Parrot @ The Blue Quill Angler in the USA, who helped Rio develop the line. This was before Rio actually launched the line as a commercial product.
    I have fished it for around a year and specifically for Euro nymphing, it is a great line - thin and sensitive, but with more "feel" than nylon.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I have one. For our cape streams I cant say it makes any difference and it is pretty much the same as using a standard fly line. Get to a big river and it is very nice to have. you can fish very far away from yourself and still have pretty direct contact with your flies. The line is very supple and so is effectively an extension of the butt of your leader. If you really can't make up your mind lets go fish a day on the streams and you can borrow mine and make up your mind. My opinion is that it works very nicely for its intended purpose and is much nicer to use than a standard line. Only problem is you cannot fish dry with it which is potentially a limiting factor for comp in SA where the fish are pretty opportunistic and where you find yourself changing from dry to nymph often. I don't fish the vaal but I imagine it would be great for that and it is certainly extremely nice in eastern Europe.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast