Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Inappropriate handling of fish.

Default Inappropriate handling of fish.

Saw a picture recently where a Flyfisherman has reached the stage where his kit has become way more important than his quarry.

Fish were created to live in the water or in simpler terms, fish want to be wet. Actually they depend n being wet in order to live, which in turn enables us to pursue our passion in chasing after them with feather and rod.

By far the most unnatural thing for any scaled fish is dry sand or any other dry matter. Have you ever noticed how humans run when it starts raining? It is not like the rain is actually going to kill them but it is just the thought of getting wet that sends them into a state of utter panic. Humans were created to be dry, just as fish were created to be wet. The difference however are that we wont die if we get a little wet but on the other hand fish have a slime cover that keeps them wet, healthy, and alive, hence we asking people to wet their hands before handling fish.... Plonking a fish in dry sand to take a snapshot with your cane rod and bourgeois oh-so-gorgeous fly reel is plain stupid.
    Last edited by Basecamp; 15-12-14 at 11:48 AM.
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

Ok so I don't feel so alone on this subject saw the offending pic 10 mins ago ( and made comment there )
    your title is a Bit harsh
    but I do think fish deserve better !!
    Not getting into the full frontal attack but well known guys shouldn't be putting fishes wellbeing above getting a snap
    Yes yes I know I'm a bunny hugger

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

I didn't see the picture, probably removed by now, but I think we are all guilty of mistreating a fish at some stage out of ignorance. No ones perfect.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I didn't see the picture, probably removed by now, but I think we are all guilty of mistreating a fish at some stage out of ignorance. No ones perfect.
    But you dont share it with the world.
    We can teach all we like about catch and release etc. It takes one picture on a public platform to ruin all the work done. Now everyone wants to take a picture to copy the pro's. The problem with lipgrips is as a direct result of pro's posing with fish dangling from these devices. Have a look at the new Stywe Lyne and you will see a picture of a child dangling a huge Largemouth Yellowfish from a lipgrip. Monkey see monkey do.
    No one is perfect, you are correct, but there is a massive difference between not being perfect and just being stupid. Not removing the pic is just plain arrogance.
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

... but if you don't have a fish on the ground next to your new bamboo rod people will think you just trying to show off the rod
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I see that you changed the title of your thread, and edited your post... good move
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It was edited by Basecamp.

Is this the offending pic?

Ha ha Neil.... :biggrin:

nice rod

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Is this the offending pic?

---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast